Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS2 RF problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all, I have run a search through the forums and come up empty on this issue.

I have my PS2 hooked up to my wife's 27" Sharp... only one problem - only 1 input - coax. Ugh! So anyways, ran to Walmart and picked up an RF Adapter (MadCatz) so that I can finally watch some movies and I get audio interference throughout the movie.

A static buzz comes on, lasts for about 15 seconds, dies down for about ten and then repeats for the entire movie. Even while the movie is paused. It seems almost like the macrovision kicking in with the intervals it keeps (although the picture quality remains the same throughout).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please don't recommend getting a new TV (and I know that the first response will be "Get a new TV"), I'll be picking up one of those biggie fries models as soon as we finalize our house purchase. But for now I'm stuck with old Sharpie.

Any help???

------------------------------------------------------
Lisa: Uhh, excuse me? Isn't there anything here that doesn't have meat in it?
Doris: Possibly the meat loaf.
Lisa: Well, I believe you're required to provide a vegetarian alternative.
Doris: [Picks up a hot dog in a bun, shakes the weiner out, and slaps the bun down on Lisa's tray.] Yum. It's rich in bunly goodness.
Old 03-21-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you still return the MadCatz?

The Macrovision could be causing problems with your TV -- not unheard of. So, I would suggest returning the MadCatz and getting an RF modulator from Radio Shack. You can convert the composite video signal from the PS2 to a cable/antenna coaxial output this way, too, but if the problem shows up again, you can connect the audio output to a receiver instead -- that way, you can turn down the TV volume and won't hear the static, because the audio is going to the receiver instead.

Make sense? Give it a try, I hope it helps.
Old 03-22-01, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the quick reply DigIt, I'll take a peek into the Shack and see what's up.
Old 03-22-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should say that I've never heard of Macrovision interfering with a TV's audio before (as opposed to video, which is common). But those 10-15 second intervals, even when the disc is paused, sounds a lot to me like Macrovision is screwing something up. Good luck.