Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Toshiba SD-1200....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Toshiba SD-1200....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-01, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy,

I purchased the SD-1200 about a year ago from mobshop (remember them?) and I've always been meaning to ask about this, but am only getting around to it now.

On certain DVD's, probably about 75% of my collection, when i watch the film, there is a line that appears to move up the screen continuously. It repeats all throughout the movie and can be genuinely distracting.

If anyone can shed some light onto why this happens, how it can be mended or just your opinion, please reply, as it would be of great help to me.

P.S. If it means anything, I have an early-90's 27" Sony Trinitron TV.
Old 03-19-01, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bad cable

While I don't want to rule out the player in this (I'm on my third Toshiba SD-3109, and less than thrilled with the quality), it sounds to me like a bad cable picking up interference.

I assume that this is occurring on widescreen films (that is to say, on anamorphic titles which the Toshiba is downconverting to fit on your 4:3 TV, so it could be a problem with that hardware in the machine. More likely is that you are using a cable with inadequate or faulty shielding/grounding - a likely case if you are using the cables that came with your player. There are a few things you can try to eliminate interference:

1- First thing first... are your connections secure? A loose jack can cause a world of problems - try lossening the F-Type jack coming in to your TV from cable, antenna, etc. Proper shielding relies on jacks being fully seated. Also please remember the golden rule of video - use the best connection you have. If you have S-Video on your TV, make sure that you are using an S-video cable form your DVD.

2- Make sure that the video cable is of reasonable quality. No need to bankrupt yourself, but make sure that it is a true video cable (75 ohm). Monster is good, but if you head to an electronics store and buy a cable marked as 75 ohm, probably a little thicker than your current one and with a solid looking connector, you should be safe.

3- Check your cable runs. Cables can act just like antennas if you aren't careful, picking up radio signals from the air, electomagnetic interference (EMI) from power cables, EMI noise from power supplies (especially computers and monitors, etc. The list goes on... Keep your signal cables away from power cables, crossing at 90 degree angles if you must. Companies sell expensive audio and video filters that will solve some of these problems, but no need to spend money prematurely.

4- Check the polarity of your elctrical plugs. These days every thing you buy should have a polarized plug (one prong is wider than the other) so that you can only plug it in one way. You can play this game forever, but you could try switching teh polarity on a couple of plugs just to see if that helps. I would recommend putting all of teh things in your signal path on the same circuit if you can (TV, DVD, receiver). You can also check out line conditioners and filters, ranging from a power strip to dedicated power supplies, but again, don't knock yourself out.

Hope this helps you. My guess is that if you play around for a while you can solve the problem, but if not, at least you can tell Toshiba that you've tried everything they can suggest and that they just need to send you a new unit.

Good luck!