Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Rate this receiver for me

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Rate this receiver for me

Old 03-16-01, 12:56 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...de=tecsadx1040

Tell me what you think

Thanks
Old 03-16-01, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My brother in law has this reciever and absolutley loves it. He wors at a local electronic store called Rex. Their web sit is http://www.rexstores.com if thier in store and web sites are the same price the reciever should be about 299.
Also for actual reviews from people that bought this check http://www.audioreview.com it workede for me.

Jason
Old 03-16-01, 11:29 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried audioreview but they don't have anything for it.
Old 03-16-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One quick word on Technics... Dunno about this particular model, but the ventilation on quite a few that I have seen is not very good. An extra cooling fan might be advised as these puppies run pretty hot.

You might want to check it out locally if you know a store that carries Technics products.
Old 03-17-01, 06:51 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else? Just your initial thoughts on the specs please
Old 03-17-01, 07:10 PM

Yes, Technics receivers make good heaters during the cold winters here in Canada. Typical of most mass market receivers, they offer only fair sound quality, albeit a bit forward. Also, quite a bit hiss in the surrounds. While my Sony 777ES is being serviced, I am using a Technics SAAX710 receiver and a Technics SHAC500D DD/DTS decoder.

If possible, I would suggest that you look at the better performing receivers, like the Onkyo 575 (discontinued) or Sony DB 830 or 930 (both discontinued). The Onkyo 575 has the infamous hiss/hum....so make sure that you get one that has been fixed or no questions asked return policy. Others to consider are the low end Marantz or Denon. Pioneer Elite is another possibility. All of these receivers would have better sound quality than the Technics IMO.

Dave

Old 03-19-01, 01:23 PM

I just purchased this receiver at Best Buy yesterday. They had it for $299. I did some research before I bought it and this one seemed to have the most bang for the buck. I hooked up my DVD player through the optical connection and the sound is amazing. I can detect no hiss in the surrounds. There are a ton of input/output connections on the back of this receiver. You should be able to hook up just about anything.

Only two concerns: 1) It does get very hot. But, I've read that as long as there is space around it then there will be no problem. There is also a fan to help cool things down when the volume is turned up. 2) The remote SUCKS!!! Plan on buying a separate universal remote because this thing is useless. That's the first thing I'm doing after work today.

Other than that, it seems like a very good quality unit for $299. I'd recommend it.
Old 03-19-01, 05:42 PM
Cool New Member

hi

yes this amp is very nice indeed i have a technics amp the model down from that one you quoted i am very happy with it
coupled with a decent set of speakers and you have a kick arse sound system
great thing about this amp when listening to stereo sources you can have the sub on to nice touch i think i dont know how many ohter companys supports this they probably all do and i just got burnt but anyway i like it

oh yeah everyone says these amps have bad cut out cicuits and tend to overheat well from expeariance they do get pretty hot so keep it open and never stack on top or below and you will be fine. and for the bad cut outs unless dont worry about it my system has not yet blown and i have had it cranked up all the way for 5 months partys galore haha

anyway i recommend this amp

performance - 8.5
features - 9 (dvdaudio ready)
value- 10

overall 9

lerroy