Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pany RV30 vs. Sony 560D

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pany RV30 vs. Sony 560D

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-01, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been utilizing the Search button quite a bit the past few days trying to decide which low- to mid-level DVD player to buy and have narrowed it down to the Panasonic RV30 or the Sony 560D. Best Buy has the Sony 560 and 360 priced the same, and I've got a $100 gift card to use there. After Sony's rebate, the RV30 is about the same price too. A few of the reviews on the 560D I read at Epinions.com mention that some people experience an audio sync problem on the 560D, but I can't find a mention of this problem on this forum. I'm also concerned about the "soft" picture that the Sony's supposedly have. The Sony is much sleeker, the remote will work with my Sony TV, and it has some very nice features. I also don't have a 5.1 system, so the decoder on the 560D would allow me to get 5.1 capabilites cheaply. To throw another wrench into the works, not a single review of the 360 mentions any sort of audio sync problem, and it is supposedly the same as the 560 minus the onboard decoder. The RV30, on the other hand, receives nothing but favorable reviews. It supposedly has a much sharper picture than the Sony and the surround sound it offers is supposed to be fantastic. Any opinions to add?
Old 03-15-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the RV30 and it was a fine machine, but I returned it and got the RV65 so I could utilze the decoder.

I say go for the Sony. The value added of instant 5.1 sound tips the scales sharply in its favor.
Old 03-15-01, 09:48 PM
Cool New Member

Well I don't have either the RV30 or the Sony. But if playing CDR's and CDRW's is important, I don't think the Sony models play them and am not sure about the Panasonic.

I do own a Panasonic LV55 and the manual says it won't play CDR's, but plays them just fine (so far anyways).

Just to plug my main DVD player, have you considered the Pioneer DV434, not sure how much BB has it for but I do know they carry it.
Old 03-16-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you have a dolby digital "ready" reciever? Which means you would have 6 RCA inputs on the back of it. If you do get the 560D. Even better get the 570D which has a on board DTS decoder. The Rv30 will not give you DD5.1 unless your reciever has the decoder built in.