Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

feel my pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argh!

I have been planning to buy a JVC DS-TP230 Home theater in a box. I found this online for $400 shipped.

Yesterday I found a brand new one on ebay, and I was the winning bidder at $275 ($310 shipped). So I saved $90, that's good, right?

WRONG.

It turns out I bought the discontinued DS-TP220 setup. This is a very similar setup, and even has a more powerful sub. BUT it doesn't have a coaxial digital input, only an optical, so I'm going to have to spend $40 or more on a cable (down to $50 savings). Also the newer 230's receiver has multiple digital coaxial connections in case you have more than one device with DD capability.

To add insult to injury, the receiver I purchased doesn't have a DTS decoder, whereas the 230 I wanted to buy does.

Learn from my mistakes, make absolutely sure you know what you are buying!
Old 03-14-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry. I am a DVDTalk Evangelist.

(rests hand on Jabx's forehead)

You are healed!
Old 03-14-01, 03:20 PM

Pawn it back on eBay, recoup your costs (hopefully at profit), and buy the one you were looking at. Next time do a little mroe research
Old 03-14-01, 03:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jabx, if you're keeping the receiver, I could get you my Monster Cable optical cable... I didn't know what the heck coaxial digital audio was until a few days ago, and I found out I had ins/outs for it. The cable's only a month-and-a-half old... I'd sell it to you for $20, including shipping. Sound reasonable? Drop me an e-mail.
Old 03-14-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by michael_sharma
Jabx, if you're keeping the receiver, I could get you my Monster Cable optical cable... I didn't know what the heck coaxial digital audio was until a few days ago, and I found out I had ins/outs for it. The cable's only a month-and-a-half old... I'd sell it to you for $20, including shipping. Sound reasonable? Drop me an e-mail.
Awesome! I'll take it. I went to your email address in your profile, but it says that you have it set up so that people can't email you through the forum.

I email the administrator to forward an email to you, and also if you see this message please send me an email to
[email protected] to discuss where to ship to and how to make payment.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Don't worry. I am a DVDTalk Evangelist.

(rests hand on Jabx's forehead)

You are healed!
*knocks on forehead*

"It's no longer made of wood!"
Old 03-14-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you actually read the model number of the JVC system on the auction before bidding? If it was the newer model and the guy sent you the old one you should be able to get your money back. However, if it was the older model all around I guess you learned a good listen to read a bit more carefully next time.

J
Old 03-14-01, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Master J
Did you actually read the model number of the JVC system on the auction before bidding? If it was the newer model and the guy sent you the old one you should be able to get your money back. However, if it was the older model all around I guess you learned a good listen to read a bit more carefully next time.

J
MasterJ:

Yes I read the model # in the auction, and I thought it was the newer model (I was familiar with the model #'s). JVC also makes a DS-TP230, and when I saw the auction for the DS-TP220, I thought it was the lower end one and the DS-TP330 (which exists only in my head) was the higher-end.

But yes, I did learn a valuable lesson...
Old 03-16-01, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jabx
Awesome! I'll take it. I went to your email address in your profile, but it says that you have it set up so that people can't email you through the forum.

I email the administrator to forward an email to you, and also if you see this message please send me an email to
[email protected] to discuss where to ship to and how to make payment.

Thanks!
Heh... oops. YGM, and I've changed my profile so that people can e-mail me now.
Old 03-17-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where did you find the JVC 230 shipped for $400??

I'd love to get my hands on that one!!