DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

: Recommendations: Wega vs 16x9 vs Projection ??

Old 03-13-01, 03:20 PM

It's time for a new TV. My initial consideration was a 36" Wega, but I've been reading about so many different problems, I'm a little apprehensive. I'm interested in a 16x9, but not sure if it's the right choice. Here are some factors:
I would like to spend around $2000. I could go up some if necessary.

I will mainly watch television (local cable and Directv) with a DVD movie once or twice a week. Does a regular television program have bars on the sides on a 16x9?

I was almost sold on the Wega (KV series). Is the XBR any different other than the HD compatibility. Side by side, the XBR looks quite a bit better. If I don't have a HD receiver, would it make sense to shell out the extra bucks for the XBR? Isn't their an issue with the XBR and crappy cable feeds?

My next choice was the 40" Tosh 16x9. After looking at one at Best Buy, I wasn't quite as impressed. Again, if I'm watching cable for the most part, this might not be the ideal set.

Finally, I haven't really looked at projection sets (other than the Tosh). I don't know much about them. When I think of a projection, I think of sitting at an angle and not being able to see anything.

So, with that information, can y'all throw out some suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
CH

Old 03-13-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chays99
My next choice was the 40" Tosh 16x9. After looking at one at Best Buy, I wasn't quite as impressed. Again, if I'm watching cable for the most part, this might not be the ideal set.
I'm not defending or promoting Toshiba, but from what I've read and heard, the Toshiba doesn't look that great in the store and won't look that great in your home either until you have it professionally calibrated. After being calibrated properly, it's supposed to be an excellent set.
Old 03-14-01, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You may want to check out the hometheaterspot.com lots of good information broken down by mfr. I've seen the Tosh 40H80 and it looks great but is slightly too small for my taste. Just about all of the 16X9's have a stretch mode that takes a 4:3 image and stetches it to fill the screen and the models I've looked at do a fiar job of it although its not prefect.

Do yourself a favor no matter what you do, don't spend $2K on a 4:3 TV as you'll kick yourself in a few years when you have permanent black bars on your TV. If your not ready to go HDTV buy a $600 32/36" for the next few years and then you won't feel so bad getting HDTV in a few years when it becomes the standard and comes down in price. Don't splurge on a WEGA even if it does the 16:9 squeeze, you'll regret it long term IMHO.

The bottom line is with the growth of the HDTV market there are a number of models in the $2500 range varying in sixe form 40" to 55" and they are all pretty good. Yes they are more work nad need regular tweaking but its worth it in the long run. I'm very close to picking up a 16:9 myself....
Old 03-15-01, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I hit all the stores this weekend and take another look at everything.
Old 03-16-01, 11:38 AM

I read not too long ago that Sony unveiled a 42" WEGA at a computer show. Maybe you'd want to check it out but I doubt it will be under the $2000 youre looking to spend. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 03-16-01, 01:53 PM

I've decided to put everything on the back burner until I can figure out what I really want.

I was almost sold on the XBR until I heard a couple of things about it.
Old 03-17-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would get a 16:9. You will have buyer's remorse if you spend that kind of money and don't get a widescreen. The Toshiba 40H80 is an excellent set, it just needs to be calibrated by Avia or VE at the very least.