Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Got a Dvd Player for my Birthday....Dillema!!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Got a Dvd Player for my Birthday....Dillema!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-01, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a dvd player and some money for my birthday... I have an old reciever(no surround) and an old t.v. with no stero hook ups. My dillema is this should I get a new reciever with dts/dd and a RF modulator and let the picture lack a little quality or should I spring for a T.V. and have a great picture and midiocre sound??? I have been leaning tworad a 27" Sharp but would like some imput...

Thanks for the info,
Vegita
Old 03-11-01, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd start with a receiver and work gradually towards a TV as long as the picture on your current set is halfway decent. a good TV by itself would sound a bit better, but is nothing compared to the sound of a DTS/DD setup. i had my DVD player plugged into the TV for a while, but once i got my receiver it made all the difference in the world. DVD+a good TV is like a really high quality VCR. DVD+receiver=home theater, a much better experience. i've never used a DVD player with an RF modulator, there isn't a huge loss in image quality, is there?
Old 03-11-01, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, from what I understand though the quality that comes through a RF Modulator is no better than regular cable I could be wrong tho... If that is the case what would you suggest? I gues it is a question whether picture or sound is more important...

Thanks again
Vegita

Old 03-11-01, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my DVD player hooked up through an RF modulater. The picture that comes through it is a lot better than the cable reception. It's not as good as S-Video or component, but its much better than cable.
Old 03-12-01, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Vegita275
Thanks for the reply, from what I understand though the quality that comes through a RF Modulator is no better than regular cable I could be wrong tho...
It should look much better than cable TV. You will be able to survive with the video quite well -- get a new receiver.