Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advantages of HT over a Public Theater

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advantages of HT over a Public Theater

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I saw this on alt.dvd.video and thought I'd share it. The original poster is "Randy Howard" who deserves all the credit in writing it. I'm just posting it here because I think it deserves a wider audience...

Ever growing list of reasons to do HT instead of a public movie theater...
1) Better sound. This one isn't even close, unless the HT in question is a HT-in-a-box system of questionable quality.

2) Better picture. (Don't agree? Watch a movie at your local theater after it has been out for a few weeks and shown 5x a day, then get back to me.

3) Timing. Watch whatever movie you like, when you want to.
Watch it 30 times if you like. Watch it at 3am on a Tuesday if necessary.

4) No standing in line waiting to buy tickets. Especially nice when the latest "blockbuster" is opening, and the line is outside and around the corner of the building, while it is pouring rain.

5) No standing in line waiting to buy popcorn for the price of a case of the stuff at your local grocery store.

6) No standing in line waiting to buy a coke for $3.25, which would get you a 12-pack at your local grocery store.

7) You can drink your favorite scotch instead without offending anyone. Similar things apply to smokers shunned from just about all public forums now, simply because they want to make more room on the planet for the rest of us.

8) You don't have to drive around a parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find a spot in the same zip code as the theater. Once you find it, watch the movie, then come out to find a nice 3 foot long crease in your car door.

9) You don't have to try and look over the latest science project disguised as a "hip hair-do" sitting in front of you.

10)You don't have some guy that hasn't bathed since the Nuremburg trials sitting nearby turning you off of your popcorn.

11)You don't have a crying baby and the odor of soiled diapers to contend with (unless you happen to have a little one at home) in which case, YOU OWE IT TO THE REST OF US TO STAY OUT OF PUBLIC MOVIE THEATERS WITH THE LITTLE DEVIL.

12)You don't have to listen to some old lady three rows back asking her husband, "Say, isn't that actor the one that was married to that actress that was once married to the guy that was run over by a donkey at the Emmy Awards in 1955?.... no wait, that's not it, she was married to that guy that lost his arm in a boating accident while trying to drown his girlfriend after he found out she was cheating on him with a ..........." This of course repeats every time a new actor/actress appears in the film.

13)You don't have to watch 20 minutes of commercials.

14)Your feet aren't sticking to the floor because whoever sat there two hours ago was incapable of keeping his coke in a cup.

15)There isn't chewing gum stuck to the armrests of your seat.

16)Some 425lb troll isn't smashing your legs in half whilst saying "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me..." every 15 minutes when it goes back outside to get its free MegaTon Popcorn refills.

17)No waiting in line for 25 minutes with all the other poor guys outside the ladies rest room after the movie waiting for your date/wife/etc.

18)No wondering "whodunnit" after the major plot twist was just revealed during a massive cough attack by someone sitting 15 rows away that completely covers upon the single most important 20 seconds of the film.

19)Pause Control.

20)Volume Control.

21)Climate Control.

22)Very unlikely to have a dating couple sitting in front of you trying to have "safe sex" in the semi-dark while your young children are looking on instead of watching the latest Toy Story movie.

23)Extremely unlikely that you will be mugged in the parking lot after the movie finishes in your house.

24)You can watch a movie that will never, ever be in a movie
theater again. The thousands of classic movies on DVD,
or even HD satellite far outstrips any perceived benefit
of watching the latest Keanu embarrassment, er, movie.

25)You can watch foreign films without having to drive a
few 100 miles, or perhaps even crossing a state line to
do so. When's the last time The Seven Samurai was showing
in your neighborhood movie theater?
Old 03-03-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amen to all of these.
Old 03-03-01, 08:10 PM

Excellent.

The one and only downside to viewing movies at home is the size of the screen...

-Gonnosuke
Old 03-03-01, 08:21 PM

So you're saying the Public Theatre is better?
Old 03-03-01, 08:30 PM

Don't take this personal

Obviously, you haven't been to the real movie theatre, i.e., The Mann Chinese in Hollywood, Ca., which shows 70mm film, with THX, DTS, and a real big screen.

Plus, some movies are better watch with the crown, and you need to get out of the house.

Yes, a decent HT will beat any other multi-theatres any days.
Old 03-03-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately I'm east coast so I'd be much more likely to catch live action theater on Broadway. The Mann Chinese sounds like a nice theater though - but even with all that cool equipment other people can be rude/obnoxious etc, and why should I have to put up with that. (Last was seeing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and some moron with a cell phone taking calls...) I do go out and see films in the theaters but more often than not I'd much prefer to relax, pop a DVD into my player and sit back and enjoy...
Old 03-04-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No DAMN Cell Phones!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gonnosuke
Excellent.

The one and only downside to viewing movies at home is the size of the screen...

-Gonnosuke
Actually, some have FP and with the distance they are to the screen at home, the relative size of the screen rivals the theater.
Old 03-04-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No I prefer sticky floors, some 6'4" monster sitting in front of me at the last minute, and spending as much on popcorn and a coke to share as I did on dinner for the 2 of us. With the more modern theaters with stadium seating and more attention to cleanliness, it is better in some respects but crowds have gotten far ruder. I personally would like to choke the f***er that lets his cell phone ring and then answers it.
Old 03-04-01, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by stingo
Hi All,

I saw this on alt.dvd.video and thought I'd share it. The original poster is "Randy Howard" who deserves all the credit in writing it. I'm just posting it here because I think it deserves a wider audience...

Ever growing list of reasons to do HT instead of a public movie theater...
4) No standing in line waiting to buy tickets. Especially nice when the latest "blockbuster" is opening, and the line is outside and around the corner of the building, while it is pouring rain.
Then I guess waitting for half a year for the dvd to come out is better than waiting in line to buy the tickets.
Old 03-04-01, 03:55 PM
Cool New Member

Is this guy an anti-social?

I don't know, but waiting in lines to buy tickets or to buy popcorn never aggravated me. It's part of the experience.

Going to the movies is just more fun than popping in a DVD in your living room. I don't see how you can say it's not.

I guess one day everyone will all just stay inside 24 hours a day because they don't want to be "bothered" by other people. Get a life, stop complaining.
Old 03-04-01, 04:44 PM

HT has improved greatly, to the point it's no longer "giving up" sound and movie quality to watch movies at home. However, it will never replace the social experience of watching movies in a theater, and the "Grand" feeling of watching a movie in a big-ass room

They're both good... I couldn't give up either

-No, my HT is no where near theater qualitY
Old 03-04-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good call Stingo. True too!
Old 03-04-01, 08:28 PM

Re: Don't take this personal

Originally posted by egbok
Obviously, you haven't been to the real movie theatre, i.e., The Mann Chinese in Hollywood, Ca., which shows 70mm film, with THX, DTS, and a real big screen.

Plus, some movies are better watch with the crown, and you need to get out of the house.

I live in Los Angeles.
I've been to this place.

The location of Mann's Chinese is $hit. It's like an inner city dump. While watching, you hear cell phones/pagers going off because some crackhead thinks being paged is cool. No decency to turn it off.
People telling the actors/actresses on the screen what to do as if re-directing on the spot is going to change the events of the plot.
All the while, you're wondering if your car was parked in a safe spot or what may be in it's place when you return.

egbok,
This is not a personal attack on you. Yes, there is fine equipment at this theater. No doubt. But what this thread is about is the overall experience (I think).
For some, watching movies is no big deal. Just something they do when friends get together or when dating and that's cool.
As for me, there's no way I'm taking my woman to the hood.

[Edited by Centurion on 03-04-01 at 06:32 PM]
Old 03-04-01, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by JimRochester
With the more modern theaters with stadium seating and more attention to cleanliness, it is better in some respects but crowds have gotten far ruder. I personally would like to choke the f***er that lets his cell phone ring and then answers it.
I feel you're anger.
That's why I decided to go HT 3 years ago.
Really, if you save up enough, you can get a HT together that will give a better overall experience with every movie no matter what genre (horror, action, comedy, romance, drama, etc.)

Not social?

What I do is invite friends over to watch. Most of my DVD's are ones they haven't seen or would like to see again. All I ask is that they bring the grub.
Old 03-04-01, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: Don't take this personal

Originally posted by Centurion

I live in Los Angeles.
I've been to this place.

The location of Mann's Chinese is $hit. It's like an inner city dump. While watching, you hear cell phones/pagers going off because some crackhead thinks being paged is cool. No decency to turn it off.
People telling the actors/actresses on the screen what to do as if re-directing on the spot is going to change the events of the plot.
All the while, you're wondering if your car was parked in a safe spot or what may be in it's place when you return.

egbok,
This is not a personal attack on you. Yes, there is fine equipment at this theater. No doubt. But what this thread is about is the overall experience (I think).
For some, watching movies is no big deal. Just something they do when friends get together or when dating and that's cool.
As for me, there's no way I'm taking my woman to the hood.

[Edited by Centurion on 03-04-01 at 06:32 PM]
Well, the Mann Chinese is just an example. Movies are meant to watch at a big theatre like that.

It all depends on the movie that showing, if you go to a teenage movies, you expect to put up with cell phones, and people talking during the show. Most younger people these days have no respect whatsoever.

I always go see a movie on Sunday morning, when people still in church, and the teenagers are still in bed/at home with the hang over, therefore, I can enjoy the movie in peace.
Old 03-05-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every time I go to a "prime time" showing (7 pm or 9pm) at a theater, there is someone behind me who does not understand the plot which means someone else has to explain it to them. Or someone near me has a cold and is hacking and coughing the entire movie. Or I have to listen to teeny-boppers who have no intention of even attempting to watch the movie.

It has taken much effort to convince my fiance, but we now almost exclusively attend matinees, as early as possible. That way, when annoying people come in at the last second and sit behind us, the theater is empty enough that we can move.
Old 03-05-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK then, let's compile the advantages of public theater over HT:

1) Don't have to wait 6 months for the new titles to be released on video, at which point you know the surprise ending a la The Sixth Sense because everybody is talking about it. This also assumes that the DVD is day&date, or even at all, otherwise you're stuck renting the VHS copy. Ugh.

2) Keeps you from being out of the loop for 6 months while everyone else has lengthy discussions about the ending to [1]The Sixth Sense[/i] et al. See also #1.

3) You get the group dynamic that is so important to the experience of many films. A recent example is Austin Powers 2, which was a laugh riot in the theater but seems a little dumber when you're watching it at home.

4) Size does matter, even if you've got a 100" front projector. There is a definite psychological impact of the screen dimensions and luminosity that is difficult or impossible to recreate in the home.

5) In HT, there is still no guarantee that you won't be interrupted by people, your feet won't stick to the floor, that your seat won't have gum on it, and that people won't take offense to you drinking scotch. At least in my house.

6) Counts as a date, and even if you find the experience inferior, you will get the points for taking your significant other "out". Significant other will most likely subtract points for your insistence on staying in and watching a video (if he/she bothers to stay at all).

7) Opportunity to engage in illicit sexual encounters while others are oblivious around you. (Not me personally, but added for completeness.) See also #6 and its effect on getting lucky.

What else?
Old 03-05-01, 11:42 AM

I hate the people that go to movie theaters (i.e. the people with cell phones, the people that won't shut up, and pretty much just all ignorant people). You are already paying an arm and a leg to see these damn movies and then you can't even have a nice peaceful enjoyable experience. Also think about the cost of going to a movie: $8 a ticket so if you go with your significant other you are shelling out $16 just for tickets. For that price you could buy the movie on dvd. If I stay at home and watch a dvd in my HT I have better sound and better picture quality along with all the amentities of home. I can pause the movie for bathrooms breaks and kick people out of my house if they are bein ignorant. I abhore movie theaters and find that the only experiences I have when I go are the stressful annoying kind. If I want to be social I will go to a bar or a restaurant where talking is appropriate.
Old 03-05-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
What is so funny people spends thousands of dollars to have the going to the Theater experince at home and then bitch about the real thing. There is nothing like seing a big summer movie on opening night. I love my home set up but it is not the same.
Old 03-05-01, 11:58 AM

Re: Re: Don't take this personal

[B]
Obviously, you haven't been to the real movie theatre,
Crackheads don't have pagers.
Hell, most pawn shops will give you at least $10 for a pager.
Old 03-05-01, 11:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don't take this personal

Originally posted by JackStraw
[B]
Obviously, you haven't been to the real movie theatre,
Crackheads don't have pagers.
Hell, most pawn shops will give you at least $10 for a pager.
Very constructive.

I was just using the term in a "name-calling" way; didn't mean it literally. I could have easily substituted "crackhead" for "jackass" but we all know donkeys don't carry pagers.
Old 03-06-01, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you don't have to look at the goofy toothed pepsi girl.
Old 03-06-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
you don't have to look at the goofy toothed pepsi girl.
Yes! - I was subjected to that "ad" when I went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.... Another reason to stay at home with the HT....
Old 03-06-01, 02:24 PM

True, true. Every one. Also, you don't have to pay $8.50 for each person, $10.00 on the Super Value Popcorn package, and $7.00 for candy. When you add it up, buying the DVD saves you so much money!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.