Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Xbox to output progressive DVD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Xbox to output progressive DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is amazing! I just read that the Microsoft Xbox is going to have progressive dvd playback capability!

http://xbox.ign.com/news/31930.html

Wow!!! wonder if I should return the JVC Progressive player I just bought?

-=cysco
Old 03-01-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't believe everything you hear from Microsoft! Usually what they promise never shows up in the final release. Even if it does end up doing Progressive Scan it will not be as good as a dedicated Progressive Scan player. Rememeber this Xbox is designed primarily for gaming not DVD viewing.
Old 03-02-01, 10:25 AM

Actually, this news is coming from the head of Nvidia, the company making the graphics and sound chip for Xbox and not Microsoft. (the new NV20 or Geforce 3) He let the cat out of the bag at a press conference. Assuming that the Xbox is using the NV20 to output the progressive signal the quality should be very good. Not sure if anyone has looked at the specs for Geforce 3, but they are amazing.

-=cysco
Old 03-02-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see how much Microsoft is going to try and sell this system for in the beginning....as FrankS stated....the dvd feature(progressive scan) will most likely suffer in quality from the more expensive stand-alones as did the PS2!!! Any price tag over $300 will be too expensive....I guess we will see....
Old 03-02-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

plus you have to pay EXTRA for the drivers that will allow you to use it as a prog scan player! wonder how much the upgrade will cost?
Old 03-02-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apparently all you need to do is buy the remote for $20 which gives you DVD capability.

If the XBox has prog-scan capability, other manufacturer's prices will hopefully drop like a stone. Ahh, nothing like competition.
Old 03-03-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Shazam
If the XBox has prog-scan capability, other manufacturer's prices will hopefully drop like a stone. Ahh, nothing like competition.
This is what I'm thinking too. I hope the XBOX is affordable enough to penetrate the market so prices of the competition fall.

I think $300 would be the maximum possible for this system. Most likely even less! Uncle Billy knows that the money is not in the hardware. Look for him to take a big hit in profits here. Software is the key to success of any game system.
It's simple logic. You need to buy the hardware only once. Now, you buy 8-10 games a year which costs ~$40 per game. This is where you'll start to acquire some gains in profit.

The bottom line is, progressive scan players are going to be mainstream later this year.
Old 03-03-01, 11:50 AM

It wasn't in an "official" statement, but the price I've been hearing is $400 on release, at which time PS2 will only drop to $249.
Old 03-03-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ECydeDave
It wasn't in an "official" statement, but the price I've been hearing is $400 on release, at which time PS2 will only drop to $249.

If it indeed turns out to be $400.00.....I wait!!!
Old 03-03-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just heard that sony will be offering drivers for the ps2 to enable it to become a prog scan player at about the same time the xbox comes out...go figure!
Old 03-04-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
I just heard that sony will be offering drivers for the ps2 to enable it to become a prog scan player at about the same time the xbox comes out...go figure!
Uncle Billy made 'em do it.