Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Sony DVD player would you buy today ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which Sony DVD player would you buy today ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am a sucker for Sony .. i know ..

anyways .. it is time to go shopping again ... I successfully sold my free Samsung (which sucked anyway) .. and my trusty Apex is not playing all the DVDs that I have .. so, now I am in the market for a kick ass sony.

I have the sony 940 DB reveiver .. so i do not need a player that encodes DD and DTS , right ??

I have a sony wega 32" .. but that does not really call for anything "progressive scan" (still no real clue what that is

i'd be happy for any pointers which make my trip over to audio review a bit easier ..

thanks
Old 02-28-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless you NEED decoders or progressive scan. The 360 is cheap and has a $50 rebate still I think. Why spend a wad of cash...Otherwise the 7700 if you want to spend that much (though I have heard new models may be coming soon)
Old 02-28-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caipirina
I have the sony 940 DB reveiver .. so i do not need a player that encodes DD and DTS , right ??
That is correct. Built-in decoders are only necessary for people with "Digital-Ready" receivers.
I have a sony wega 32" .. but that does not really call for anything "progressive scan" (still no real clue what that is)
Progressive Scan improves the image quality of DVDs by offering a more film-like non-interlaced signal. You can only take advantage of this if you have an HDTV or similar high-resultion monitor -- 99.9% of all standard TVs are not compatible with this.

Today, I would buy the Sony 360 w/ $50 rebate.
Old 02-28-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Get the 360
Old 02-28-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVPS360
Old 02-28-01, 03:50 PM
Cool New Member

Looks like the 360 is for you. Check out http://www.technetamerica.com, I noticed that they have it for only $178. With the $50 rebate, it's only $138!
Old 03-01-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, do i love this board .. straight fwd answer , no BS, and a really good idea (and even a link) ..

what about this 50$ rebate .. i do not see it mentioned on techamerica's website ...

has any1 dealt with them in the past ? are they reliable ??

thanks again

P
Old 03-01-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can print the technet price with shipping and take it to sears if they carry it for a PM.. Might be worth the tax for instant gratification....That takes care of the reliability issue.

Take a few secs and check dealtime or cnet for the lowest SHIPPED price to use for the PM

This link should work for the cnet sort that shows technet (the cheapest place is already including the rebate, so be careful)

It may be a place with a higher price has a lower total cost to you.

http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEML...0&sortby=price

when I checked my zip (shipped) via pricegrabber, the expresscameras.com higher price was cheaper at 193 and change total.

[Edited by xcheckers on 03-01-01 at 10:38 AM]
Old 03-01-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks !

but after reading the reviews on audioreview.com i may have to look into a different player ..

I make my own videos (thanks to iBook) and burn them on VCD .. my samsung would not play them at all (sold), my apex plays them with a 3 sec audio-video unsynch, only my sony portable plays them right .. so, i need something that plays VCDs from CDRs ..

ah, shopping time is fun time