Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where Can I Find a LaserDisc Player? Recommendations?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where Can I Find a LaserDisc Player? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was searching over on eBay today( i know, I know), and saw many movies I would like to own in a Digital format, that haven't made DVD yet.
I saw MANY players on eBay, but I was overwhelmed with all the choices.
My question is, where is a GOOD place to find an LD player, and are there are models/brands you guys recommend? thanks!
Old 02-28-01, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer made some of the best players. If you're interested in buying a player, either (a) decide how much you're willing to spend or (b) what features are must-haves.

With respect to audio, make sure it absolutely has Digital Sound (does not refer to DD/DTS--some ancient players have only analog) with CX noise reduction. You'll also want to decide if you want Digital RF output for DD, and optical output for DTS.
For video, decide if you want it to change sides automatically, digital field store for frame advance of CLV titles, and s-video output (which is probably useless with today's TVs).

Your best bargain will probably be on eBay -- I bought a single-side non-DD player w/remote for about $60, which gets the job done. You should try more trustworthy places if you're willing to pay more. You can still pick up a new player in some stores if you're really interested and you look hard enough, but expect to pay more.

Here's an old page that still might be of some use in assessing what's on eBay. Also see the LD FAQ for some information and links.

[Edited by DigIt on 02-28-01 at 12:53 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might want to check out the pawn shops.

Go with the pioneers