Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LD video output distorsion?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LD video output distorsion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-01, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this LD player - a Sharp MD-K7000, and when I watch my laserdiscs, I occasionally see distorsions in the image (as if it's an RF interference). They seem to be constant, not random, which makes me think it's dirt or a scratch on the disc surface. Is this common, or do I just have a bad (sensitive?) LD player... hmmm...

Thanks.
Old 02-28-01, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a problem of noise being picked up by your video cable. Check to see if the video cable is by any electrical wires and move to see if it helps. You also amy want to try a better shielded video cable as well if the above doesn't work.
Old 02-28-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Static and specles could be a sign of many things. If this is a recent change, laser rot may be occuring; check the surface of the disc for discoloration or spotting. It could also be a poorly mastered disc, or it could be small physical imperfections on the disc. If you are seeing a herring-bone pattern, then it is a problem like crosstalk, which can either be a bad player or a bad disc. In any case, there is little you can do with a bad disc, except take extra precaution when handling and storing the disc.
Old 03-03-01, 10:08 AM

Yep, it's crosstalk, all right... and it's the player. Checked with many discs, including new ones, never played. Anything I can do about it?
Old 03-05-01, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, I think you have to get the laser adjusted. I don't know if you can adjust it yourself or if you need to have it serviced. It would seem like an easy thing to adjust, but ??? Try searching on crosstalk and laser servo adjustment and see if there are any DIY sites that can help.