Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if the Apex AD-600A DVD player has troubles with DVD-18s?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone know if the Apex AD-600A DVD player has troubles with DVD-18s?

Old 02-26-01, 12:57 PM
Cool New Member

I have one of the original Apex AD-600A DVD players that has the secret screen. I was wondering if anyone has had any troubles trying to play DVD-18s (dual sided, dual layer DVDs). The only one that I know of it the Terminator 2 - UE 1-disk DVD. Thanks.
Old 02-26-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes--I've had trouble with disks like the T2 UE, and generally, the newer discs with more stuff. It's still a solid little player(I use it as my alternate/all region player).

More recently, I had some trouble with dinosoar, which wouldn't let me see past about 10 minutes from the end.

r
Old 02-26-01, 01:26 PM
Banned

Moving to Hardware Forum
Old 02-26-01, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had no problems with DVD-18s. However, the APEX can't play DVDs that use branching (to show multiple versions of a film on the same DVD). T2 UE uses branching, so that is likely why that is a problem title...
Old 02-26-01, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

Does that mean both the 1 disk and 2 disk versions would have this same problem? Do both versions have this branching? I tried the 1 disk and had issues, I am trying to buy the 2 disk. But if I am going to have the same issues...

[Edited by Q-Dog on 02-26-01 at 12:25 PM]
Old 02-26-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the data is identical on both versions, I would expect that you will experience the same problems.
Old 02-26-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the 600A (without secret menu) and it played T2:UE just fine. But the secret menu ones have an earlier ROM chip.
Old 02-26-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This site:
http://www.nerd-out.com/

should answer all your apex questions.
Old 02-27-01, 07:37 AM

as stated before, If the film has branching, you can't watch the it. I have the Apex, with the menu.. I can't watch my T2, either. We al;so tried watching independance day, didnt work either.

Marc
Old 02-27-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the same problems with mine...
Old 03-01-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Apex 600a's are a trade off. If you've got the menu, you can't do seamless branching, sometimes lose audio sync, and other issues. If you've got a new one without the menu, it will usually play everything fine.

Old 03-01-01, 05:34 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by renaldow
The Apex 600a's are a trade off. If you've got the menu, you can't do seamless branching, sometimes lose audio sync, and other issues. If you've got a new one without the menu, it will usually play everything fine.

You can use a switch-selected dual BIOS ROM to get the best of both worlds.
Old 03-01-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep mine to watch imports and occasionally play MP3s. Its a nice little player and does a great job with
Video CDs.
Old 03-02-01, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by renaldow

you don't need the older apex with the menu. people have hacked the current roms of the apex to remove macrovision and add region-free. you can even hack in your own background image to replace the current blue dvd backgound image. all you need is an eprom burner and download the hacked roms from the net and you're set. there are hacked roms for a number of other companies players out there as well. in europe, hacked dvd players removing region coding are common since many dvds come out much earlier in the us than in their region.