DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is 7.1 surround sound?

Old 02-22-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds silly, but what is this?
I know of 6.1 as in DTS-ES encoded material. You get 7 discrete channels of audio.
Now, I know that some Yamaha receivers proclaim to have 7.1 capability (no, I'm not bashing Yamaha receivers because there is also an Onkyo that states 7.1 too), but when reading the description it really sounds nothing more than 5.1 with two more speakers as "filler" sound. I mean, it seems as though these additional speakers are not discrete channels, rather, they are feeding-off from an existing signal (i.e. L/R surround signals or L/R mains).

I'm not even aware of any 7.1 discrete material being produced for music or movies on DVD.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 02-22-01, 04:21 PM

Denon's 3801 seems to be the flagship for 7.1 processing. As far as I can tell, they have split the 6th channel (rear center) into 2 channels, rear left and rear right. I don't think there is any consensus (at least among other receiver manufacturers) that there will ever be a need for discrete 7.1 receivers if there is no media made, but the Denon 3801 is ready if they do this.
Old 02-22-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I understand, you have:

Front left/right (1/2)
Middle left/right (6/7) (directly to either side)
Rear left/right (3/4)
Center channel front (5)
Subs. (.1)
Old 02-22-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, but I can't wait until 25.1 comes out! Imagine 25 separate speakers surrounding you and all pointed at you while you sit on your couch!
Old 02-22-01, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
I don't know, but I can't wait until 25.1 comes out! Imagine 25 separate speakers surrounding you and all pointed at you while you sit on your couch!
I'm there.

Count me in.

-Gonnosuke
Old 02-23-01, 07:50 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Dr. D
Denon's 3801 seems to be the flagship for 7.1 processing. As far as I can tell, they have split the 6th channel (rear center) into 2 channels, rear left and rear right. I don't think there is any consensus (at least among other receiver manufacturers) that there will ever be a need for discrete 7.1 receivers if there is no media made, but the Denon 3801 is ready if they do this.
This is a good point about it not really being that nessary, BUT Denon does the coolest thing in that they have with this receiver 7 channel stereo. They have had 5 channel for a while and I'm sure that others do this to, but the Denon sounds so damn good. As I'm sure you know, playing music through the surround modes sounds like ass, but the 5 and 7 channel stereo is beautiful. It's like being in the middle of a show. ****ing sweet.