DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

looking for a center channel speaker

Old 02-21-01, 02:22 PM
Cool New Member

I'm new to the Home Theatre world, I have a Receiver, and a player. I'm looking for a center channel speaker. I can't afford real high-end stuff so something around $200 or less would be great. Any Ideas?
Old 02-21-01, 02:32 PM

What front/main speakers do you have? If you timbre match your center channel to your front speakers you will get a much more pleasing front soundstage.
Old 02-21-01, 02:33 PM

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 02-21-01, 03:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by knit-witt
What front/main speakers do you have? If you timbre match your center channel to your front speakers you will get a much more pleasing front soundstage.
I go to college right now so i'm kind of looking for a universal speaker. My speakers at home are Pinnacles. But right now i live with a dorm and my roomate has infinitys.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is no universal center channel speaker. any center speaker will work and produce sound. to get the most out of your speakers it is best to buy a center speaker that will match the front speaker. If you do not know what speakers you will have when you leave college then get any decent speaker- infinity is fine since that is the speakers you have now at school.
Old 02-21-01, 03:56 PM

Do you plan on using those Pinnacles at home? If so, I would buy a matching center to those. Then, when you go home you will have a matching front soundstage. If you feel like you will use it more at college, then match the Infinity speakers. BTW, try to buy the center speaker that has the same or similiar drivers (woofers and tweeters) in your front speakers.
Old 02-22-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Polk CS245i. It's not too expensive, it looks awesome, and it sounds amazing.

Read the reviews on audioreview.com
Old 02-22-01, 11:31 AM

The Polks are awesome! I just got a cs400i, about double your price range, but I would still reccomend matching your drivers, either infinity at school, or your pinnacles at home(as said already above).