DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker System recommendations

Old 02-21-01, 12:54 PM

I just recently bought a Sony Wega KV-27FV16 and a Sony DVD player for my bedroom. I also have a extra Yamaha DD/dts receiver that I was thinking about hooking up to the Sony DVD player. Now I am thinking about buying one of those small speaker packeges that has the five satellites and subwoofer. I don't plan on spending too much on them, preferrably less than $500. Here are the systems I am considering any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

JBL-SCS135
Bose Acoustimass 6 Series II
Sony SA-VE315
Sony SA-VE505
Old 02-21-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It might just be me but I have never been a real big fan of Bose. I just don't find them to have well defined extremes (highs and lows). Good mid, but lacks detail high and really low.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-21-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I believe there is a set of speakers called 'Energy 5' built by Energy that sounds great for a small, complete system. I don't know how much they are but I think it's a bit more than your $500 aim.
Old 02-21-01, 07:51 PM

Stay away from Bose they are awful especially for music.

I would definitely go with an Enegry Take 5 system. You can get them for under five hundred bucks.

Here are a couple hundred reviews on them http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7270.shtml

I would also check out some of the Cambridge Soundworks systems.
Old 02-21-01, 08:00 PM

I, too, am not a believer in Bose speakers. They've got the right idea of making a surround system small, almost hidden in your HT.
On the other hand, it may just be me, but I think Bose sounds a little muffled. They don't have that clarity I hear from equally expensive speakers from Paradigm, Infinity, or NHT's. I also prefer the equivalent JBL's over Bose.

One thing Bose has that other speaker manufacturer's wish they had.....

.....great marketing!
Old 02-21-01, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
I would definitely go with an Enegry Take 5 system. You can get them for under five hundred bucks.

Here are a couple hundred reviews on them http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7270.shtml

I would also check out some of the Cambridge Soundworks systems.
Thanks for the support.

These speakers are indeed incredible for their size and money.
Old 02-21-01, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Centurion

One thing Bose has that other speaker manufacturer's wish they had.....

.....great marketing!

Marketing is all they have...
Old 02-21-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am confident that if you listen to any of those proposed systems and then go into a specialized audio store, you could put on a blind fold and through a dart randomly, and find a better speaker system. If it hits something like the Energy Take 5, you're in good shape. They won't carry Bose, so you don't have to worry about getting screwed.
Old 02-21-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're interested in the Take 5 here is a link to Audioshop in Canada -very friendly people, Marc Hallam is the name of the sales rep. who helped me. (bought the e:XL-26's, e:XL-R's and e:XL-C from them)
A friend bought the Take 5 plus an Energy e:XL-8 (8" subwoofer) to fill in the low frequency sound. Total cost if you buy from a Canadian store is around $350 I think ($500-something if you add the subwoofer) It's a pretty favorable exchange rate if you happen to live in the US.

My friend's system sounded very good for a budget system. But don't feel pressured in to getting that. I've heard good things about Cambridge, check them out. They probably have something of comparable value sound-wise. Anyway, in the end you have to give everything a listen and go with what you like.

http://audioshop.on.ca/
Old 02-22-01, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the posts. I absolutely forgot about the Energy Take 5 speakers. I think I am going with those speakers. I have a Energy EXL10 hooked up to my main system and I love it.