DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What small subwoofer shall my brother get?

Old 02-21-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My bro is looking to buy a small sub.

What small subwoofer is recommended?
I have followed chess's thread on the Sony SA-WM40
which seems to be a great bargain, but it is too big for him.

I know sunfire does good small subs.
9 x 9 x 9 inches cabinet, although a bit pricey at $900

Anything else you would recommend?

Thanks
Old 02-21-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my friends just bought a small set of Infinity Subs for his HT. They are one of the best small subs I've ever heard.
Old 02-22-01, 10:39 AM

If the size of the Sunfire line is your standard for small, that leaves few options. I thought the Sunfire subs sounded good when I heard them. They pack a lot of punch for their size. I know Paradigm makes a bookshelf 8 inch sub, but I have not heard it. Stores around me did not carry it. I do not know of any other subs that are really that small. Check out the paradigm if you can find it, or just get the smallest 8 inch sub you can find.
Old 02-22-01, 11:06 AM

I think B&W has a new small sub (Sunfire sized), but it probably will fall on the pricey side, too.
Old 02-22-01, 08:23 PM

Is it the floor space or the entire size (Wife Acceptance Factor) of the sub that he is concerned with? If it's just the size of the footprint, then I would recommend a sonotube type sub such as a Hsu Research or SVS - the Hsu has the smaller footprint of the two (under 1 sq.ft I think). They are about 3-4 feet tall. If his wife/girlfriend won't let him have a larger sub, then it doesn't get much smaller than the Sunfire.
If he doesn't have a wife/girlfriend but still doesn't want the larger sub, then I'd have to ask, "Are you sure that your brother is a guy?"
Old 02-23-01, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just about everybody out there sells small subwoofers now, following the design of Bob Carver (Sunfire). Monitor Audio, Pinnacle, B&W, REL, Velodyne, M&K, and a bunch more. There's also the taller sub of HSU and SVS that have a really small foot print (about a square foot) and supposedly sound better than anything out there for the price. There's also IN WALL subwoofer, NHT makes one and I think a few other's do as well, like Atlantic Tech. Any sub from one of those manufaturers would kick ass. If you just want a straight up suggestion here goes:

M&K K-9 Subwoofer: 8 incher, 75 watts (150 peak) measures 10x10x13 inches and costs only $550 retail. Odds are you can get it from Tatumelectronics or some other retailer for well under $500. In my opinion M&K probably makes some of the best HT subs out there, I'm sure this one doesn't fall far behind. Especially for that small of a room.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-01, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll check them out.

The reason he is looking for a small sub (footprint and size) is because he travels, and would like to bring it with him.
Old 02-23-01, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by cinemaphile7
The reason he is looking for a small sub (footprint and size) is because he travels, and would like to bring it with him.
Now THAT I can DEFINITELY respect!