Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to get my DVD player to play CD-Rs?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is there a way to get my DVD player to play CD-Rs?

Old 02-21-01, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Panasonic DVD CV-50 player supports every disc format except CD-R. Is there any way I could get it to play CD-R discs, either by some hack or removing the hood and doing something internally?

The man with the stinky finger.
Old 02-21-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Stinkfinger
My Panasonic DVD CV-50 player supports every disc format except CD-R. Is there any way I could get it to play CD-R discs, either by some hack or removing the hood and doing something internally?

The man with the stinky finger.
No.

You might try CDRWs, tho.
Old 02-21-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no.
Old 02-21-01, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
I have a question regarding this. I have tried to burn MP3s (as CD-AUDIO) onto CDRWs. How do you make them playable in other devices? Don't you have to "close" the disk (or at least the session) somehow? I have tried this using Adaptec's Easy-CD Creator (v4.x). Should I use another program (ie. Fireburner or the like)?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-01, 03:53 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BartleyR7
Originally posted by stevevt
I have a question regarding this. I have tried to burn MP3s (as CD-AUDIO) onto CDRWs. How do you make them playable in other devices? Don't you have to "close" the disk (or at least the session) somehow? I have tried this using Adaptec's Easy-CD Creator (v4.x). Should I use another program (ie. Fireburner or the like)?

Thanks!
You may want to try asking this question in the computer hardware section.

When you're burning MP3s onto a CDR (as an audio CD) you want to make sure of a few things. First of all, make sure you're using CDRs NOT CDRWs. Only a few CD players will read CDRW discs, whereas most CD players can read CDR discs, so make sure you're using CDRs (record-once discs).

Second, make sure that before you burn the MP3s, they have to be converted into WAV files first. Just burning MP3s onto a CD will not allow you (or your CD player) to listen to them. Most CD players cannot decode MP3s on the fly. MP3s must be decompressed into WAV files prior to burning.

Try out a program called Nero. It is a very easy to use program what will allow you to make audio CDs with your MP3s very easily. The program will even decompress your MP3 files into WAV files on the fly as it burns the CD.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Stinkfinger
There is no hack or anything you can do by opening it, but you can try different media. If a player will read a conventional CD and not a CD-R, it is often a matter of reflectivity. Try media that has a very shiny reflective layer (looks more like a pressed CD/DVD).
Old 02-22-01, 10:24 PM

Make sure you burn the disc with 'disc at once' method also
Old 02-23-01, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK just a couple of questions:

BT,
Where can I find that 'NERO' utility you're referring to?

BenCJedi,
What is the difference with 'disc at once' and the other options in the Adaptec Easy CD-creator menu?
Old 02-24-01, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nero is at http://www.ahead.de
Old 02-24-01, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Centurion
What is the difference with 'disc at once' and the other
options in the Adaptec Easy CD-creator menu?
I believe that 'disc at once' eliminates that pause between tracks. usually not a big deal, but if you are copying a CD where the tracks blend together without any silence inbetween it really sounds a lot better to do it this way so the resulting disc won't sound all choppy.
Old 02-25-01, 01:04 AM

my magnavox DVD player plays CDRW's
Old 02-26-01, 10:38 AM

I bought an aiwa dvd player for around $219.00. Very basic model and it plays CD-Rs.
Old 02-26-01, 11:37 AM

Try the music CD-R's. They are more expensive but I heard they work where regular CD-R's won't.
Old 02-28-01, 02:46 PM

Well it all depends. Almost all DVD players can play AudioCDs (74 - 80 mins per cd, etc...). If the player can play normal CDs it can also play CDR's that have music on them in the AudioCD format (again, 74 - 80 mins per cd). These cds will play in any normal cd player. However, some players have trouble with some brands of media. If so, try a different brand. Some cdplayers and DVD players have the ability to also read CD-RW drives, with the same restrictions as to audio format mentioned above. This ability is dubbed "multiread".

Some DVD players (e.g. Apex, etc...) have the ability to play MP3s stored as computer data files on a CD/CDR (or even CD-RW if the drive is multiread compatible.

If your drive can natively play MP3s then you can fill the disk with 650-700 megs of MP3s (a few hundred songs -- depending on length, compression, etc...), something like 500 to 650 minutes of music. These drives understand the HFS, Joliet, ISO-9660, or FAT16/32 file formats and read the files like a computer equipt with winAmp would.

Only if your drive can not natively play MP3s, will you have to convert them back to WAV, or AIFF, or someother PCM based format, or use CDBurning software that will take said MP3 as an input and do so automatically for you.

Originally posted by BT

[snip]

Second, make sure that before you burn the MP3s, they have to be converted into WAV files first. Just burning MP3s onto a CD will not allow you (or your CD player) to listen to them. Most CD players cannot decode MP3s on the fly. MP3s must be decompressed into WAV files prior to burning.

Good luck! [/B]
[Edited by suriyun on 02-28-01 at 12:49 PM]