Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon AVR-5800

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-01, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what channels does this receiver put out?

How many front channels, rear channels, etc? I think it does a total of seven channels, correct?

Also, if I want to get the DTS-ES 6.1 / Matrix or the THX-EX, and all of the other fancy sounds, do I need to get this receiver or something similar? Or could I just keep my 5.1 Receiver and use amps to pick up the slack?

The question I have is this...I constantly see people with home theater setups that have much more than just 6 speakers. So my question is that if you have lets say 4 or 5 rear channels or whatever number you want, how do you get the distinction of whether that will be a rear channel or rear surround channel, etc? I know for a fact that not everyone that has a home theater and that their receiver is only a 6 channel (6 channel meaning, (1) center, Front Right & Left, Rear Right and Left and the Sub - 5.1) receiver is only working with 6 speakers. They usually have many more speakers? How do you do that?

What do you need to get to add the additional speakers.

Please, please help.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-01, 11:51 AM

Someone help me here and verify this but the signals the meloman is asking about is accomplished by the processor located in the reciever. So if he wanted to add extra speakers to accomodate 6.1 dtsES an extra amp wouldn't cut it. The THX label, if memory serves me well is just a certification not something differernt than 5.1 or 6.1 (I don't remember). If I were in your shoes and looking to upgrade to 6.1 dtsES I would consider the 3801. It have more playback modes than you will ever need, accomodates 5.1, dts, and 6.1 dtsES. It does not have the THX certification but as I found out most here don't find that all too important. Needless to say the 3801 runs a bit less on the pocketbook too around $1199.00 list.
Old 02-22-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by 1blwnsaleen
Someone help me here and verify this but the signals the meloman is asking about is accomplished by the processor located in the reciever. So if he wanted to add extra speakers to accomodate 6.1 dtsES an extra amp wouldn't cut it. The THX label, if memory serves me well is just a certification not something differernt than 5.1 or 6.1 (I don't remember). If I were in your shoes and looking to upgrade to 6.1 dtsES I would consider the 3801. It have more playback modes than you will ever need, accomodates 5.1, dts, and 6.1 dtsES. It does not have the THX certification but as I found out most here don't find that all too important. Needless to say the 3801 runs a bit less on the pocketbook too around $1199.00 list.
That is correct. To simplify this, let's look at a 5.1 surround setup:

The mixing studio records 6 discrete signals of audio in a 5.1 soundtrack. By discrete I mean, the R-rear speaker gets its own audio information independent of the other speakers. The L-front gets its own, etc, etc.
So, for example, if you were to disconnect your center channel(speaker) during movie playback, the voices would sound a lot more faint (or completely gone!). This is because the mixing studio intended the voices to be reproduced by the center channel.

Now, in a 6.1 soundtrack (i.e. DTS-ES), it's the same concept except you're adding a rear center channel.....which is also discrete. The audio coming from this channel is not "spliced" or coming from a combination of the L+R rear channels.

I hope this clarifies at least some questions.

Now, this brings me to 7.1 which I hope someone can help me with here.