DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer question...

Old 02-21-01, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking about ditching my setup and going with a monitor/sub setup. I'm think HSU for the sub. One question I have is this: How much power does an HSU sub need to sound good? I have an extra 100 watt amp laying around I could power it with, but would that do it any justice? The HSU amp is a 500 watt monster, but I can also get an integrated NAD amp for $200 that will deliver 400 bridged. How do I do this? Any suggestion on the best combo for the HSU sub?
Old 02-21-01, 06:56 AM

I beleive the amp for the Hsu TN series are made for the subs specifically. Take a look at the non power SVS subs; designed to work with just about any amp. People have used 4-500watts and they even tried a KLH receiver that was suprisingly good.
They are effcient. Real bass, not that distorted boomy stuff. Do a search at hometheaterforum.com. The creators of the company will answer your questions there or by email.
Old 02-21-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have an HSU VTF-2. Granted, it looks like you are going with a higher model then I have, but I can tell you this...

My sub is only rated at 150w. Their amps are rated very conservative. It definately puts out more then 150w.

Seems like you may be going with the new VTF-3. If I were you I would wait until you get it before you think about needing more power then that.

I have a feeling once you set it up you will realize you have plenty of clean, tight, non-boomy bass.

The HSUs are great for HT and music.

After hearing (feeling?) my sub, my friends are all buying one. My friend Mike ordered his, and my other friend is saving up for it.

We all compared this sub to the Velodynes, BA, and Paradigm subs in and above that price range.
Old 02-21-01, 08:02 PM

Since you already have an amp you may want to consider a DIY sub as well. You could make one for just a few hundred dollars and use your 100 watt amp.
Old 02-21-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do believe that part of the TN line's performance is in fact due to the amp. There is some bass boosting/equalization built into the amp, like the box that comes with the Bose 901's. I would seriously consider the VTF-2 and get it all in one box at a cheap price. You would have to have quite a large room to need anything bigger or more powerful than it. If you are dead set on a passive model, I'd look into the SVS subs as well. All of these beasts are way too big for both my room size and the physical size of a sub that I am willing to live with. Don't dismiss that small HSU sub based on size or power or price. If you have a medium size room, it can rattle the pictures right off your wall if you crank it up. If you set it up calibrated with Avia or similar method, it's never going to bottom out anyways. This was the best $500 I have ever spent on audio. The HSU's are so musical, once you pop in a cd, you'll be spending weeks just listening to your music collection and will not be able to have time for DVDs. The down-side is that I can't stand looking at the cheap ass foam plug they provide for the second port...they should have come up with something better for cosmetics.
Old 02-21-01, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked the smaller footprint of the TN series subs (HSU) which is why I kind of shyed away from the VTF series. I don't have much space in my listening room, but plenty of room for a 14" diameter footprint.

svadas, I had a sneaky suspiscion that the rave reviews they were getting with those subs was more than dependant on the 500 watt amp they sell along side of them. Thanks. Also, with the VTF subs, what kind of room do you need for them? As in distance from side/back walls etc? I really am limited in my space. If/When I get smaller speaker I should be able to fit something a little bigger, but not with much room for tweaking. Also, with SVS subs I here there's a pretty long waiting list for their subs, but I've HSU's all over place in stock.

dchaug, I am trying to get into speaker building, but I'm afraid the tools to do it right would cost me more than buying a manufactured sub. I have been working on a cabinet for some Paradigm Titan drivers for a while now and without a router/table saw/jig I don't see it happening anytime soon. I have a jig at home and tried using it to cut the circles for the drivers with no luck. As far as creating a flush mount for the tweeter/woofer (routing the shape of the cast basket) forget about it. Not without the right tools. Is there an easier way? I've seen some great looking DIY subs, am I being to particular with seals and everything?

Thanks again...
Old 02-22-01, 02:05 AM

The CS non-powered version SVS subs take about 3 weeks while powered PC series can take 3 months. They run 16" in diameter. I heard the TN is not really stable while an SVS has a solid bottom plate built in.
Old 02-22-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Poorboy,

I too was limited in space and the sub had to fit under my tv stand. I have never tried it in any other location yet, so I don't know if I have it in the optimal spot. The port is on the side and the manual says to give 2inch clearance for the port. I have mine about 2 inches from the wall as well. I've heard you can easily contact Dr. HSU for product/model suggestions and room placement ideas. The nice thing about these small companies, HSU/SVS, is that they have excellent customer service and support, and you know that the knowledge is coming straight from the source and not getting messed up or biased by audio salespeople.
Old 02-22-01, 07:58 PM

Hi PoorBoy,

How large is your room? How large of a footprint can you handle? What's your budget?
I actually JUST sold my Hsu TN1225 (w/150W Hsu amp - old model that's no longer available) and I plan on buying a couple SVS subs for my upgrade. As the above poster stated, the wait time on the SVS subs if three weeks for a passive model like the Hsu TN series that you're looking at.

I really did LOVE my Hsu sub, but my room was still a little too large for it (>6000 sq.ft) and I initially planned on buying a larger amp and buying another Hsu. However, as svadas stated, you must use the Hsu amps as they provide a +6db boost in order to maintain levels in the lower frequencies. This eats up amp headroom. BUT, the Hsu's aren't getting rave reviews because of the amps. The amps are just part of a complete package that does deliver fantastic bass at a reasonable price. I can highly recommend Hsu subs without reservation.

I decided to move to the SVS' for two reasons: (1)the reviews I've seen show that they will be at least equal to the Hsu TN1220 (top model) and I expect them to be substantially superior in the price/sound ratio, and (2) the SVS subs do not require brand specific amplification like Hsu does - you can get the equivalent of the Hsu amp ($800 shipped - drives 2 subs) for nearly half the price ($425 - drives 2 subs) from SVS, or you can use existing amplifiers and save even more $$$. I also like the fact that if I have problems with either the amp or the subs years from now, I would be able to replace either device with a different brand, rather than being forced to change the whole system. You start thinking about things like that after you've been through as many upgrades as I have...

[Edited by Kojack on 02-22-01 at 06:01 PM]