DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Help Newbie With DTS Setup (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/83094-help-newbie-dts-setup.html)

Hav0k 02-20-01 05:41 PM

Can anyone help me with my Pioneer DTS receiver (VSX-D509S)
and my RCA (RCA-5210P) DVD Player. I just got a Digital Coax cable to use to hook them up and I can only get Dolby Digital to work. I have about 40+ movies w/ DTS sound tracks and so far I've tried with Gladiator, T2:UE and Lethal Weapon Directors Cut. Is there anything I'm missing or could have overlooked? The DVD Player is setup to Bitstream if that makes difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. The Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver is $199!!! at Costco.

Alfer 02-20-01 08:20 PM

Make sure your DVD player is configured to output the DTS signal. It should be somewhere in your set-up menu on the DVD player .

PLUS make sure you choose the DTS soundtrack on the DVD itself (via the menu of the DVD movie).

DTS-Man 02-20-01 11:16 PM

Tell me if your problem fits this description:
You turn DTS and DD outputs ON in the DVD player setup menu, select the DVD5.1 setting on your RCA receiver, select DTS from your movie menu and.....nothing. Hmmmm but then you select the plain 'ol DVD button on your receiver and WOW you have audio!

That's the situation my friend has with his RCA 5880? receiver and Pioneer DVD player with DD/DTS decoders. Only he has a coax AND his 5.1 analog cables connected. So he gets 5.1 audio out with the DVD button selected but not when he selects DVD5.1. He finally took that receiver back and bought a Sony and things are working like they're supposed to. Let me know if you're problem is the same.

Hav0k 02-21-01 11:20 AM

DTS Issues

I have a Pioneer Reciever and RCA DVD Player. The RCA DVD Player is the equivelant of the Panasonic A110. I am using a digital coax cable. I get it in the mode for DTS but no sound comes out at all. The DTS logo does not light up on the receiver. The only options I have for "Digital Audio" on my DVD player is Bitstream or PCM.

ckolchak 02-21-01 11:30 AM

i thought PCM was used for the DTS connection. i called a HT store yesterday asking what I needed the PCM cable for (after seeing the connection listed in the manual) and he told me it was for DTS. The cable was like $25 for 3'...so i'll just be using 5.1 for the time being.

if this info is wrong i apologize. i just got finished setting up my first system a couple hours ago, so i'm still quite the newbie.

Hav0k 02-21-01 11:40 AM

Yeah I saw it listed in my manual as PCM but someone told me to use bitstream. Any DTS gurus out there with good Home Theatre Resource Guides? or wanna put some insite into this situation?

1blwnsaleen 02-21-01 11:58 AM

I jutt covered this topic earlier this morning and don't mind covering it again because I had the same problem when I set up my system.

1. Set the audio on the disk to dts
2. Set the reciever to dts or auto mode
3. On the dvd player there should be some sort of audio button. Set the output to bitsream.
4. On the reciever make sure that your input is set to coaxle and not optical if this is an option.

This sould solve the problem. What is happening is you are not passing the digital signal through.

Hav0k 02-21-01 12:19 PM

I am passing the digital through because I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 on my movies just no DTS. I was watching T2:UE
I selected DTS from the audio menu and no sound at all came out but if I select DD 5.1 that works fine.

BT 02-22-01 04:01 PM

Hav0k, I have to agree with 1blwnsaleen's comments. I have the same receiver (Pioneer VSXD-509s $199 at Fry's, pricematched at Sear's) and have a Toshiba 3109 DVD-player and I get DTS just fine through the digital coax connection to the receiver. Just follow 1blwnsaleen's instructions and it should work. It's the same way I set my system up as well and it works fine.

Pay special attention to step 4 "On the reciever make sure that your input is set to coaxle(sp) and not optical if this is an option." I had the same problem you describe when I set it up initially and found that I hadn't set the receiver to accept the coax input from the DVD player. The receiver was getting the signal but since I hadn't told it to accept the DTS stream, it was just giving me Dolby Digital.

Good luck! :)

Kojack 02-22-01 08:13 PM

Re: DTS Issues

Originally posted by Hav0k
I have a Pioneer Reciever and RCA DVD Player. The RCA DVD Player is the equivelant of the Panasonic A110. I am using a digital coax cable. I get it in the mode for DTS but no sound comes out at all. The DTS logo does not light up on the receiver. The only options I have for "Digital Audio" on my DVD player is Bitstream or PCM.
I have an Panasonic A110 and wasn't able to use DTS until I set mine to output the Bitstream. If you've already tried that...then I don't know....

mutsch 02-23-01 01:45 PM

On the Pioneer Receivers, you have to program the optical output to "DVD" for it to work. That's accomplished with the remote. The two optical ports and the coax port are all programmable for for different inputs. Hope that works!