DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

4:3 widescreen

Old 02-20-01, 08:12 AM

This has problably come up before, but I just discovered this site, so here goes:
My Sony DVD player has 3 options for the kind of TV I have. I have a Hitachi HD-ready, so I chose the 16:9/4:3 mode, and switch the TV to 16:9 when watching anamorphic movies. When I buy a movie and want to dub it for my kids (they don't live with me and don't have a DVD player), I have to change the TV type or the video comes out squished up. My question is this: there are 2 settings for 4:3 mode, 4:3 Pan & Scan and 4:3 Widescreen. What's the difference? I can't tell any.

Thanks,
-AC
Old 02-20-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD spec includes an option for dynamically panning and scanning a widescreen (letterboxed) movie. (This portion of the spec is all but ignored because programming the pan&scan would take up more space and be more difficult than just including a separate p&s verion on the disc). So, for all intents and purposes, you can select either of these and it won't make a bit of difference.

To be on the safe side, you should select "4:3 Widescreen".
Old 02-20-01, 11:16 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I buy a movie and want to dub it for my kids (they don't live with me and don't have a DVD player)
And you plan on defeating the Macrovision copy protection how?????
Old 02-20-01, 11:24 AM

It's funny you should mention that. I have two VCRs: an older Samsung, and an even older JVC, both Hi-Fi. I can dub using the Samsung right from the RCA outs on the DVD player. No dice for the JVC; looks like a scrambled cable channel. I never really understood the Macrovision thing. Maybe I've taken for granted the ability to dub movies for them?

-AC