DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer DV-333/DV-C503 DVD players FF/RW question

Old 02-20-01, 06:13 AM

I just bought a Pioneer DV-C503 DVD player from Best Buy but haven't opened it yet because I'm unsure if I'm going to keep it. From all I've read online the player has everything I want, the only thing that seems to be a downside is it's FF/RW capabilities. Since BB doesn't have any of their products hooked up so that you can test them out, I'm hoping people here who have either of these products (since for this feature they're identical) could tell me how off-putting the player's FF/RW is.

From what I've read, the players don't scan smooth but jump frames. Exactly how fast does this occur and how much control over the scanning do you have? I read one review at http://www.audioreview.com that said it jumps like 30 seconds at a time. If that's the case the FF/RW seems almost pointless.

Right now I'm upgrading from a first generation player. I though mine was ancient because it only has 2x and 8x smooth scanning. If the FF/RW is really bad on this player then that could prevent me from keeping it. I hope not though because everything else on this player looks great.
Old 02-20-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it isn't smooth but it's never been a problem for me, either. if it's really going to bug you, i guess return it... all i use FF or RW for is to scan through a chapter to look for something in particular, and it works fine for that.
Old 02-20-01, 07:58 PM

It's not so much the "smoothness" that concerns me but how much control over the actual scanning you have. Could you tell me how fast it scans? Are you able to stop within say a 10 seconds of any given point you may be looking for?
Old 02-20-01, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by strangelove
Are you able to stop within say a 10 seconds of any given point you may be looking for?
absolutely :> while i've never timed it, (or even paid much attention, to tell the truth) it seems to start out skipping maybe 1/2 to 1 second at a time and quickly accelerates a bit the longer you hold it down. but there's never been any problem locating a spot on a disc.

[Edited by Eeyore on 02-20-01 at 07:39 PM]
Old 02-20-01, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like it will be a problem then.