DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with RF Adapter

Old 02-19-01, 03:23 PM

Hey folks,

I just bought another DVD player, so I give my old one to my parental units. I had to buy an RF Adapter at Radio Shack, because they have an older television. I get it hooked up, and use a splitter to connect one line to the RF Unit from the back of the cable box, and the other line goes from the cable box to the VCR. Now the VCR won't play or record. I haven't the slightest idea how to fix this problem. Is there any piece of equipment that I can buy to fix this, or should my parents buy another tv? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-19-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What you should do is run the cable line into the VCR first, then the RF, then your TV. That is how I had it set up on my old television and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-19-01, 06:18 PM

I wish I could run it like that, but unfortunately, I have to run it into the cable box first. If I run it thru the VCR, they don't get HBO or Cinemax. I tried, and it didnt work, but thank you very much for trying.
Old 02-20-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, how did you connect both leads of the split antenna line back to the TV's antenna input?
Second, are you sure Yancey's suggestion does not work, because I see absolutely no reason that it wouldn't: cable box -> VCR -> RF mod -> TV ?