Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question regarding using TiVo &/or Replay TV with Dish Network & Antenna

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question regarding using TiVo &/or Replay TV with Dish Network & Antenna

Old 02-19-01, 09:47 AM

I'm considering purchasing a TiVo or a ReplayTV for my home theatre. I have Dish Network Echostar 4000 model and I sue an over the air antenna to receive my local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, & WB). My question is, does the TiVo/RPTV work well with this set up. Also, which one would work better with my Dish Network? I have heard that Sony makes their products so that they are not compatible with competing brands (DirectTV vs. Dish Network) and Sony is a chapion of the TiVo.
I'd like some imput from everyone but particualarly the people that have the same setup as I do (Dish + antenna).
Also, I just saw last night while scanning a magazine that Microsoft has a new kind of digital recorder coming out or that is already out. Anybody know anything about these? The Microsoft may be a much better idea for me. I don't know.
Thanks in advance for the imput.
Old 02-19-01, 02:45 PM

Sorry I can't answer your questions directly, but these might help:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000163.html

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi
Old 02-19-01, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by normy22
I'm considering purchasing a TiVo or a ReplayTV for my home theatre. I have Dish Network Echostar 4000 model and I sue an over the air antenna to receive my local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, & WB). My question is, does the TiVo/RPTV work well with this set up. Also, which one would work better with my Dish Network? I have heard that Sony makes their products so that they are not compatible with competing brands (DirectTV vs. Dish Network) and Sony is a chapion of the TiVo.
I'd like some imput from everyone but particualarly the people that have the same setup as I do (Dish + antenna).
Also, I just saw last night while scanning a magazine that Microsoft has a new kind of digital recorder coming out or that is already out. Anybody know anything about these? The Microsoft may be a much better idea for me. I don't know.
Thanks in advance for the imput.
I have a Dish reciever and a ReplayTV. They work great together. The Replay has three inputs, so you can connect your Dish reciver and antenna to it. It then merges both channel guides into one overall guide. I've had no problems with it.

The Microsoft product coming out, UltimateTV, will include a DirecTV receiver and will only be compatatble with DirecTV, so it won't work for you. It will also integrate a webTV device.
Old 02-19-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have Dish Network and a TiVo. Although I do not use OTA as I get my locals through Dish, I know many people do and it works seamlessly. Basically you hook up the Dish receiver using composite audio and composite video or S-Video and the OTA using the RF connection on the TiVo. In the set up you choose Dish and OTA and the TiVo program guide will combine them into one. The set up works just fine.

For more info refer to the links given above by knit-witt.