DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Owners of the Philips 60PP9601 HDTV: Your thoughts?

Old 02-16-01, 10:34 PM

I'm just curious as to what you folks here think of this set. It seems to be getting decent reviews and it seems to have more than adequate inputs etc.

What are the Pro's/Con's of this set that you've encountered?

I think Sears is about the only place you can find this set and it seems to be selling for a decent price (around $3400)

The only other set I've had my eyes on is the Sony KP53HS10..Nice set, but not enough HDTV inputs and a very hard to remove protective screen. (note: it's not meant to be removed, but I found a site that shows how to remove it)

As you can see by the pics of my HT, my viewing room is quite large, so I have no problem fitting a TV the size of the Philips.

Thanks in advance
Alf
Old 02-17-01, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got the 53HS10 about 2 weeks ago, and i'll tell you, i had a b*tch of a time trying to find a RPTV i was satisfied w/.
all the ones that looked great w/ HD content looked terrible w/ regular NTSC stuff. the sony was the best compromise i found.
however-
i've since seen the philips that you're asking about at a circuit city, and for the first time it was playing a regular old cable siginal, and it looked pretty damn good.
everytime i've seen this set hooked up it's been fed a true HD siginal and it's looked spectacular! unfortunately the only place around me that has 'em out is CC and i would never buy anything like that there, they're just too damn expensive (didn't even think of shopping at sears, but now i hear they price match internet sellers).
i still think i made the best choice for myself.
the sony isn't perfect (it doesn't come close to the HD res of the philips) but it's the best 'compromise' set i could find, and just about all the dvds i've played so far have looked great.
price-wise and size-wise, this was the best set for me to get. i wouldn't be able to get the philips downstairs anyway, not enough clearance. but it looks like a damn fine unit.
curiously tho, the widescreen philips i saw being fed a cable siginal looked awful!?
if you're planning on watching alot of HD programming, i'd go w/ the philips. It looks like the best value for the money right now.