DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Kenwood HTB-503 problem (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/82045-kenwood-htb-503-problem.html)

Jason Northrup 02-16-01 07:08 PM

First off I will say that I think I'll need to get this warrenteed. Now, onto the problem.

Iturned it on tonight and it was working fine. I was using it to play MP3s off my computer (using digital cable) for quite a while. I left it going and left the room for a while to eat dinner. When I came back the music was cutting in and out (more out than in). I tested to make sure it wasn't just the bitstream coming from the computer. I turned it off then back on and put it on a radio station. After a couple minutes the audio cut out and started making a staticy hum sort of sound.

Next I cut power to both my computer and receiver for a few minutes then brought everything back up. I put in a DVD (played through my Hollywood Plus decoder) and left that for a bit. It was playing great, but after about 5-6 minutes, the audio cut out again and made the same hum.

I bought this back in August and haven't used it a lot overall. Although I have been using it more lately to listen to music from my computer, but I definately haven't been overpowering it (average at -60dB to -50dB).

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing it to do this or what may have started it? It is fully protected from all power surges.

stevevt 02-16-01 07:23 PM

Could be a lot of things.

One thing to check is the speaker connections (make sure the + and - aren't touching, and that the connections are all solid).

Sorry to hear you're having probs.

Is the prob on all the speakers simulataneously?

Jason Northrup 02-16-01 07:28 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Could be a lot of things.

One thing to check is the speaker connections (make sure the + and - aren't touching, and that the connections are all solid).

Sorry to hear you're having probs.

Is the prob on all the speakers simulataneously?

I'll check to make sure the + and - aren't touching at all.

Happens to all speakers simultaneously.

If it isn't the +/- thing, I am fairly possitive it is related to the receiver.

stevevt 02-16-01 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Jason Northrup

I'll check to make sure the + and - aren't touching at all.

Happens to all speakers simultaneously.

If it isn't the +/- thing, I am fairly possitive it is related to the receiver.

Since it's happening regardless of the source you're playing, that'd make sense.

Jason Northrup 02-16-01 07:59 PM

Also I did another test. I turned down the volume all the way and muted it to make sure nothing was getting out to the speakers. I set it up so that I could use my TV as a listening source. Everything was playing through my TV for a while from the TV speakers, then the audio cut out just as it did before.

It doesn't completely cut out because every once in a while you can here a faint existence of the audio.

stevevt 02-16-01 08:04 PM

Also I did another test. I turned down the volume all the way and muted it to make sure nothing was getting out to the speakers. I set it up so that I could use my TV as a listening source. Everything was playing through my TV for a while from the TV speakers, then the audio cut out just as it did before.

It doesn't completely cut out because every once in a while you can here a faint existence of the audio.

So, the audio signal path for what you're describing is something like:

VCR (or Dish, etc.) --> receiver --> TV speakers

Is that right?

Sounds like you've isolated the problem to the pre-amp (volume control, processor, and source switching) part of the receiver.

Speaking of that, how are you listening to the tv speakers? Thru the tape loop?

If it's not too much of a pain, type out the signal path (for audio).

Jason Northrup 02-16-01 09:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevevt
[B]

If it's not too much of a pain, type out the signal path (for audio).
Computer -> Receiver -> VCR -> TV