DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba 40H80 + Progressive Scan..Opinions?

Old 02-16-01, 05:44 PM

Ok--I want the "latest" opinion...how does the 40H80 compare when hooked up to a progressive scan DVD player compare to other sets, such as the new Sony 57" and 65" Widescreen sets?
Old 02-16-01, 10:00 PM

If you're going to be using the TV mainly for DVDs then most of the various widescreens will give a very good picture, especially with a progressive scan player.

"Bigger is better" applies here, dependent on room size of course.

Everyone tends to recommend the particular brand they own, which is understandable. I'll also do so and say that I've owned a Toshiba TW56X81 for a little over 14 months and am very happy with it. I have a Toshiba 6200 progressive scan player and the picture looks great.

Get the biggest widescreen TV your room and wallet can tolerate, and definitely get a prog scan player.

Old 02-17-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to disagree with the bigger is better statement. Most of the times when a manufacturer has two sizes such as for example the Toshiba 56" and 65" widescreens the same size guns are used on both. Since this is the case the picture is sharper on the 56".
Old 02-17-01, 04:49 PM

There isn't a person alive that can see a sharper picture on a 56" display vs. a 65" display using the same size CRTs.
Old 02-17-01, 07:35 PM

Applying to the same brand thinking, I need a Mitsu. prog scan player to go along with the Mitsu WSHDTV. I can't seem to find any. Some of the on-line stores had them but they were unavailable. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 02-17-01, 08:32 PM

Bodai,
The Mitsu progressive scan player, I think it's the 6000 model, is made by Toshiba. It's basically a Tosh 5109. The 5109 is a good player, but it's a first generation progressive scan player, the 6200 is the more recent model. You can find the 6200 online for around $550, it would be a better value than the Mits prog scan player.
Old 02-18-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny because when I was reading a review comparing the 65 Panasonic to the 56 the reviewer mentioned what I exactly said. He said the 56 had a clearer picture. And even where I work when I compare the 53 Pioneer to the 58, I personally think the smaller one has a sharper picture.