Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Center Speaker Placement Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center Speaker Placement Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-01, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. A couple of questions. I don't know if the answers would be more personal opinion or fact, but that's why I come to y'all. I'm fixin' to set up my speaker system (KLH HTA-9006....nothing fancy, I know, but within my budget....)and I'm extremely pressed for space. I have two options before me that don't involve heavy woodwork.

1. I can place the center channel just to the right of the TV. How much would this effect the sound? Mind you, until now I've been dealing with no center at all, so it would have to be better, wouldn't it?

2. I could, perhaps, place the center above the TV, but I'd have to set it on its side (that is, lengthwise standing up)....is that okay to do? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't, but I've read so many conflicting things on so many different subjects.....well, you get the picture. And, actually, if it is okay to stand a speaker on its side, I guess another option would be to do so immediately to the right....would that be better than option #1?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-01, 08:38 AM

on the TV

I would place the speaker on its side on top of the TV.
Actually, horizontally arrayed drivers, which is the arrangement for virtually all center speakers have better horizontal dispersion (side to side instead of up and down to the ceiling) when place on its side (vertically) so people sitting to the sides of the speakers will also benefit.
Old 02-15-01, 08:41 AM

the only option above the tv is vertical placement....does that change your opinion?

*just re-read your post....you're saying it's actually better to have it placed vertically?

[Edited by revco2k on 02-15-01 at 06:09 AM]
Old 02-15-01, 09:08 AM

i guess another option would be to place the center on top of the armoire, but that would put it about 21 inches above the screen, and about, oh i don't know, maybe three or four feet above my ears....of course, the armoire has a curved top, so then i'd also need to figure out some way to keep it set there....putty?
Old 02-15-01, 11:00 AM

Anyone else like to chime in on Andy's suggestion?
Old 02-15-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still trying to figure out how you have enough room to place the center speaker above the TV vertically but not horizontally.
IMO, if you sit far enough back, a center speaker 21" above the TV would not be unmanageable.
Old 02-15-01, 02:01 PM

well, there's a shelf above the tv (this is all inside a big wooden armoire)....on this shelf I have the receiver and dvd player, side by side because it seems to me that the receiver is too heavy to sit on top of the Toshiba SD-1200 (great dvd player, but not exactly what i'd call sturdy). The room that's left is about 10" wide....the center channel is 13.75"....which is so small a difference as to be incredibly frustrating.....that's why there's room for vertical placement, but not horizontal.
Old 02-15-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What type of center channel is it? What are your right and left speakers?
Old 02-15-01, 08:07 PM

it's a klh setup....hta-9006 specs are here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...566174-7957436
Old 02-16-01, 05:33 PM

Vertical is better, the only problem though is that it looks bad and it will most likely be above your head.
I would use the vertical arrangement and then slightly angle to the viewer. I think its better than putting it beside the TV.
If you look at center speaker reviews, they almost always mention how the sound quality degrades as you move off center with horizontal arrays.

Really though, you need to try both arrangements and use your ears to be the final judge.
Old 02-16-01, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

I guess I'll throw my .02 in:

Looks like your center channel speaker has dual 4" drivers, so as already mentioned it will sound better placed vertically on top of the TV. The reason is that if the speaker is placed horizontally, the two 4" drivers would tend to interfere with one another as you move off-center.

Aesthetics aside, the one problem with this (as mentioned by Andy above) is the height of the speaker. Ideally the three front speakers should have the tweeters on the same horizontal plane (the same height off the floor), some offset is ok but less than 12" is preferrable. I would try as Andy suggested, the vertical on-top-of-tv placement, and angle the speaker down slighty to aim the tweeter toward the listening position.
Old 02-17-01, 10:21 AM

If you think you have it bad, try to place a Polk CS400i speaker. Geez! The damn thing is a beast!

Size: 8-5/8" H x 18-3/4" W x 14" D

-Gonnosuke