DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Do you recommend "factory reconditioned"? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/80948-do-you-recommend-factory-reconditioned.html)

wago70 02-13-01 03:09 PM

Some players from Elite Pioneer are being offerred from some retailers at reduced prices but are factory reconditioned. What is the difference? How about quality?

DigIt 02-13-01 04:04 PM

I believe that "factory reconditioned" means that the unit was defective or damaged, and the unit has been repaired but cannot be sold as "new". Some people don't mind factory reconditioned -- all of the kinks have been worked out and it has been checked over by a technician. Other people steer clear of factory reconditioned -- once a lemon, always a lemon.

namja 02-13-01 07:25 PM

it's really a hit or miss. sort of like buying items from the shelf at b&m stores. do you feel lucky?

rajjneef 02-13-01 07:59 PM

Originally posted by wago70
Some players from Elite Pioneer are being offerred from some retailers at reduced prices but are factory reconditioned. What is the difference? How about quality?
The main thing I would steer clear of as far as floor model or reconditioned would be a TV. I have bought VCR's, Receivers, and even a hi8 camcorder (back when they were the $#!%) and have had good luck with all of them. Most problems are gonna happen early on so you would be under warranty. If it is a no warranty thing than I would pass.

David A. Frattaroli 02-14-01 10:16 AM

Factory reconditioned can be great. It means that whatever the problem was, it's been remedied with new parts. Plus, you get a warranty. Alot of times, the unit was returned for minor repairs. I don't think you have to worry about getting a unit that was damaged in a fire or dropped from an airplane.

Movie_Man 02-14-01 12:50 PM

I have absolutely no problem with reconditioned merchandise. I'll bet that in about 50% or more or the units were returned to the store due to "customer stupidity" and there is nothing wrong with the unit. In the other cases, the units were repaired & tested, and you are pretty much guaranteed a unit in great working order.
Just make sure you get a warranty with it in case something else goes out.

MWR 02-14-01 02:27 PM

I've only bought a "factory reconditioned" item once and it was a bad experience. It was a Sony 10 disk cd changer for a car. I had to send it back to Sony 3 times. It turned me off to factory reconditioned products, but it really turned me off to Sony products. I'm sure that 90% of the reconditioned items sold are fine, but I got stuck with one that wasn't. It does come with all of the warranties that a new unit comes with though.....major plus.

Myzery 02-14-01 02:36 PM

Bought a factory reconditioned Tv about 10 years ago.. its still giving me exellent performance. I myself, would buy a reconditioned product. I think somtimes they even give warranties on them.

Kromax 02-15-01 06:28 PM

Originally posted by namja
it's really a hit or miss. sort of like buying items from the shelf at b&m stores. do you feel lucky?
Well said. I've had good luck and. . .

buzzdalf 02-16-01 12:09 PM

I've had good luck with reconditioned so far.
Got 2 stereo receivers (1 for me, 1 for bro) and a car stereo.
I can tell you from my work experience that many products returned are sent back for no good reason.
It is somewhat of a dice roll, though. Like pointed out above. A few products are returned for a reason - a bad reason.

wago70 02-21-01 10:31 AM

Thanks to all!!!!

I went ahead on all of your good advice and purchased an Elite DV05 refurbished model and I'm glad I did. This player is really great and, yes, there is a definite improvement in picture quality sharpness and color (the reds look amazing!).
I got this puppy for $299 here in San Francisco over the weekend (I almost bought the DVL combo machine for $499).
I've heard two complaints on this machine and I don't understand what the fuss is about: tray is too noisy (not mine, my 414 was louder and even that wasn't so bad), machine is too light (doesn't bother me one bit).
So far, so good! Thanks all!

CuriousGeorge 02-27-01 09:34 PM

With that said, are there any good reliable online vendors anyone know off the top of their heads for inexpensive refurbished items?

svisscher 02-28-01 07:27 AM

If you get a real good price it can be a good deal. These units have been repaired by the mfg - and in most cases go through the same QA procedures, but as someone mentioned cnnot be sold again as new. If it's not that much more though, it always safer to buy new.