DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Setting up a home theater system--I need HELP!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/80724-setting-up-home-theater-system-i-need-help.html)

larrdog 02-12-01 09:10 PM

Okay, first of all, I am home theater illeterate. Secondly, I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver and a Pioneer DV-333 DVD player, to go along with my pioneer digital cable box. I hooked up everything correctly (I think) with S-Videos. Problem is I am only receiving sound on my television. The video is not showing up. Please help. I would like to be able to watch tv sometime! Let me know if you have any ideas, which I am sure all of you do. Thanks!

the_fox 02-12-01 09:25 PM

Did you put the video signal through the receiver as well or directly from the cable box to the TV? If you did the first then your receiver will probably pass the video signal along to the TV only when the setting on your receiver reads "tv/sat" or "cable box" or something similar.

larrdog 02-12-01 10:11 PM

Here is how I have the system set up.
Digital Cable Box:
Uses an S-Video cable. Audio and video both goto the receiver. The receiver then goes to the television.

DVD Player:
Uses an S-Video cable. Audio and video both goto the receiver. The receiver then goes to the televions.

Receiver:
Uses an S-Video cable. Audio and video both goto the Video 1 on the television.

When I push the TV/Sat button (that is where the cable is), all I get is audio from the television. So I can actually watch tv, I have, for now, also connected a video cable directly to the tv from the cable box--but I don't want to do this permenantly.

tommy28 02-13-01 07:16 AM

Not sure if i followed you correctly,on my T.V.36"proscan to watch anything through the S video you must switch the chanal on the T.V.to channal 90...

tommy

DigIt 02-13-01 10:19 AM

It sounds like you did everything perfect. Check your connections again to make sure you haven't accidentally mistaken an input for an output, all connections are tight, etc., to eliminate all of the obvious.
Does the DVD player have video if it runs through the receiver, or is it also 'blank'?

SirPablo 02-13-01 10:57 AM

You DO switch the TV to Video 1 then, right?

Do you have the receiver on as well?

Have "TV/SAT" selected on the receiver?

Hope you get it working!

grantwolf 02-13-01 12:27 PM

your cable box and dvd player should both work by pressing the appropriate buttons on your receiver.

if you get a DVD picture on the tv, then you haven't done anything wrong (with respect to the tv)....

if you don't get a picture with either dvd or cable, your problem is more likely with the tv....try switching your video-in source to make sure you have the tv set correctly.