Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What does UNLOCK mean?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What does UNLOCK mean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased the Sony STR-DB840 receiver. I think it's great. However, whenever I switch the mode to DVD, the word UNLOCK appears on the receiver's display. It stays there for maybe 3-5 seconds, then goes away. This occurs regardless of whether or not the DVD player is turned on at the time.

Anyone know what this might mean? I was thinking it was "unlocking" the digital signal, but I'm not so sure.

Also, it seems whenever I go from DVD to TV (with all units powered on), my television switches the image to the TV signal, then goes blank for a split second before showing the signal again. What's up with that?

Any help on either topic would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-01, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have a Sony E9000ES preamp, and I also get he unlock message when I select DVD of LD(ps2). I think it might have something to do with the kind of cables you have used. I used to have the type of cables set to auto, where it would detect what kind of connection I was using. When I left it on auto, there was no unlock message. When I changed it from auto detect to optical, I get the unlock message whenever there is nothing playing in the DVD player of PS2. Not sure what it means though.