DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Car sterio that plays MP3s?

Old 02-10-01, 01:30 PM
Suspended

I know this isn't exactly a DVD question, but I'm hoping someone will know...

I recently put my entire CD collection on my new computer in MP3 format, and hooked it up to my sterio, so now I can listen to every song I have on random

Anyway, I was thinking, since I have a CD player in the car, and a CD RW drive on my computer, it'd be great if I could make mixed MP3 CDs to play in the car. I know my car can play CDRs that are made like an audio CD, but I don't want to just have like 12 songs, I want it to be loaded with MP3s..

So, anyone know if there's any kind of car sterio that can play a CDR with MP3s and treat it just like any other CD? If so, know which ones and/or got any links so I can check out their site?
Old 02-10-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aiwa makes one as does Kenwood. Two friends of mine have the Aiwa on and while it works, like many Aiwa products, it's gaudy, no very intuitive, and some of the MP3 playback sounds kinda bad(some high bitrate files sound like they were ripped <128). It does work though so if you're not an audiophile it might work. The Kenwood unit is considerably more expensive and I can't comment on its performance.
Old 02-10-01, 07:32 PM

I have a memorex portable that came with a car adapter that plays mp3's. Works rather well. You could go that route. Not as great as a built in but I can take it with me if need be. Got it at Target for $99.
Old 02-10-01, 07:35 PM

I've burned alot of audio cd's but have always converted them to .wav files first. I was not aware that you could buy a car stereo that would play mp'3s but I'm not suprised.
Old 02-11-01, 04:31 PM

If you're interested in buying one, email [email protected]