DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

panasonic A110 no DTS? Anyone own this one?

Old 02-10-01, 02:20 AM
Cool New Member

I have an old panny A110 DVD and I am having problems with DTS. I do not have the factory remote with this unit so I use my Hitachi TV remote to control basic functions. I am using the coax digital output into a yamaha receiver. I have verified the yamaha against another DVD player as working with DTS. My panny will play Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine but it is silent with DTS. My receiver when set to auto goes to PCM mode when I try to run the DTS disk. If I put it manually in DTS mode it is still silent. When I press the scroll on the panny unit it displays DTS 5.1 so it would appear that it is ok there. Is there something in the menu of the panny which I cannot access because of the remote situation that could have the DTS off? I cannot access any type of hardware menu on this unit with this remote. Is there a way to access the menu from the front panel? Thanks!
Old 02-10-01, 08:21 AM

I beleive you have to get to the Initial Settings menu. You have to use the Action button on the remote. It brings you to a screen light blue screen with 10 options including TV Aspect and Digital Audio Output. You have to go to number 7 Digital Audio Output and change DTS to bitsream instead of off.

I know you don't have the remote but I have used a One-for-All universal remote that when programmed with the 4 digit code for a Panasonic DVD player let me do the same thing by pressing the Prog/Guide button. You can pick up a Cinema 7 or something similar for around $20. That's your best bet if you can't borrow any Panasonic DVD remote.
Old 02-10-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trencher
I beleive you have to get to the Initial Settings menu. You have to use the Action button on the remote. It brings you to a screen light blue screen with 10 options including TV Aspect and Digital Audio Output. You have to go to number 7 Digital Audio Output and change DTS to bitsream instead of off.

I know you don't have the remote but I have used a One-for-All universal remote that when programmed with the 4 digit code for a Panasonic DVD player let me do the same thing by pressing the Prog/Guide button. You can pick up a Cinema 7 or something similar for around $20. That's your best bet if you can't borrow any Panasonic DVD remote.
That is correct......I have the A110 also....no problems here with DTS...you just need to have the player set correctly!!!
Old 02-10-01, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

O.K..... I tried my yamaha receiver remote and it got to a menu across the top of icons. This menu appears to show chapters, time, etc.. also I can scroll through the different sound formats (chicken run) from here but I still get silence on DTS. I cannot get to any other menus such as to turn on streaming under audio or anything. I would assume that there is another set of menus besides what I am speaking of? Frustration sets in. Thanks

[Edited by rajjneef on 02-10-01 at 02:31 PM]
Old 02-10-01, 08:14 PM

Yes it's a menu only accessible when not playing a disc. The menu will take up the whole screen. If you're using a universal remote just try pressing various buttons to bring up the menu. Remember it's only accessible when no disc is playing.
Old 02-11-01, 04:04 AM
Cool New Member

OK.. I finally made it happen. It was not as simple as getting an all in one remote though. Lots of reading on some remote websites and finally made it happen. Thanks for all your help.