DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Plasma ???? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/79869-plasma.html)

1youngfan 02-09-01 08:17 PM

I was just wondering if anyone thinks plasma is a good way to go compared to the rpbs? I really like the 50" pioneer plasma screen. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

X 02-09-01 08:31 PM

Very expensive, won't look as good (jaggies, not very good black levels), won't last more than a few years of regular use.

Very cool and impressive though.

1youngfan 02-09-01 09:38 PM

I know there expensive but what's up with them not lasting long?????

BillumillAmerika 02-09-01 11:13 PM

youngfan, GO FOR IT!
I have the 501 Plasma by Pioneer, it's been up
and running for 2 years now with no problems.
pricey?? yes, mine cost me $25K in 1999!!!
The newer models like the 505 have a black
"Stipe" and are a major improvement over the
earlier models, so blacks ARE blacks on the
new models.
X does not know what he/she is talking about
when he/she claims it will not last more than
a few years, what he is refering to is the
brightness/intensity level which will decrease
by approximately 40% after approximately 30,000
hours and it is really no big deal, you just
get the plasma panel recalibrated and I do not
mean just recalibrated using the DVD Avia or
Video Essentials. You actually need a $3000
tool to do the job right.
anwayways, BUY IT, I think you can now purchase
the 505 for around $15K.

1youngfan 02-09-01 11:53 PM

BillumillAmerika;
I appreciate the info I aam seriously interested in getting the newest pioneer!! besides I only will be using it for watching movies so on average only maybe about 3 hrs. a day if that. Thanks again for your help!!!

BillumillAmerika 02-10-01 12:10 AM

you are welcome youngfan. by the way I wanted to tell you that if you use the Plasma panel on average 10 HOURS A DAY,
it could work for around 8 YEARS before you would neeed any
major calibration! We use ours about 16 HOURS each and every day, 2 years later, still NO problems, none at all!

demonio 02-10-01 12:56 AM

sheet if I payed 25k for a damn tv I'd expect the mofo to last forever.

X 02-10-01 02:15 AM

Yes, don't listen to me. I don't have one and have no vested interest, only the reading and visual research I've done. So how could I know anything?

If I paid 25 grand for a 12" black and white TV I'd be telling you it was the best thing in the world too. The 505 is getting there, but do your homework.

Here's an article you might want to read about plasmas in general: http://www.projectorexpert.com/pages/plasma3.htm

demonio 02-10-01 03:07 AM

I agree with X, if somebody is silly enough to spend that much for a damn tv then they'd say its great no matter what.

We just bought a Mitsubishi '55 WS high definition tv for $2,700 a small fraction of that $25,000 plasma tv. Just ask yourself, is the picture really gonna be that much better?? I think not.

BillumillAmerika 02-10-01 08:59 AM

What can I say, Demonio, go wash your filthy mouth, your screen name seems to be very appropriate to your manners.
I think Demonio means Demon or Devil!!! It's people like
you who clearly draw the line between scum like you who
are BOYS and audio/videophiles-early adopters who are men!
As for you X, your opinion is just fine with me, but as
you said, you don't have a plasma and as such, you have
no first-hand knowledge/experience about the product except
what you read about it!
End of my discussion with you boys, I will just let you BOYS drool and salivate!

Sockmonkey 02-10-01 09:10 AM

No drooling here. I'd take the Mits in a second... $25000 for a TV? Hah.

SirPablo 02-10-01 01:11 PM

Nice personal attack there Bull. Just cause someone is saying your $25,000 isn't the best thing to ever be produced does not mean you have permission o go on a little rampage.

Where is the mod at?

And staying on topic (of course), I personally would just go with a WS projection TV. You can get a much bigger picture for much less money. Go look at the Pioneer Elite series (upto 64"), you should be pretty impressed. Also with the Mitsubishi Diamond series, as someone else stated above.

X has good opinions as well, he owns a VVega if I am not mistaken :)

demonio 02-10-01 01:22 PM

Originally posted by BillumillAmerika
What can I say, Demonio, go wash your filthy mouth, your screen name seems to be very appropriate to your manners.
I think Demonio means Demon or Devil!!! It's people like
you who clearly draw the line between scum like you who
are BOYS and audio/videophiles-early adopters who are men!
As for you X, your opinion is just fine with me, but as
you said, you don't have a plasma and as such, you have
no first-hand knowledge/experience about the product except
what you read about it!
End of my discussion with you boys, I will just let you BOYS drool and salivate!

LMAO, this dude cracks me up, BTW I'm washing my filthy mouth out right now, and I'm also planning on changing my name to Jesus soon too.....but I'll be god damned if I'll ever be stupid enough to buy a 25 thousand dollar tv.

X 02-10-01 01:42 PM

Originally posted by SirPablo
X has good opinions as well, he owns a VVega if I am not mistaken :)
As well as a Pioneer Elite. And a projector will come next because I care about quality. I'll spend the money I save from not getting plasma until it's improved on new bulbs or tubes for the projector. Yes, I have no idea about quality. ;) That's why I built a home theater computer dedicated to video.

Originally posted by demonio
LMAO, this dude cracks me up, BTW I'm washing my filthy mouth out right now, and I'm also planning on changing my name to Jesus soon too.....but I'll be god damned if I'll ever be stupid enough to buy a 25 thousand dollar tv.
Because then you'd have to spend too much time defending your bad decision. Anybody here think BillumillAmerika is buy.com sux's American brother?

SirPablo 02-10-01 03:10 PM

A VVega, Pionner Elite, AND planning on a projector. Yes, X DOES know about quality.

Got a site with pics of your setup X? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Amazing to think that he has all the major types of televisions except plasma.

matchpenalty 02-10-01 06:33 PM

Sorry, but I am gonna defend Bill here. Just because you guys may or may not be able to afford it, you shouldn't rag on Bill. I see plenty of people waste money on fancy cars and booze. Don't say you would never spend that much, because if you had money like Bill Gates, you wouldn't care. It would be less than your daily interest received by far.

I will take a plasma over any RPTV I have seen out there if money was no object. I hate the way the picture dims/deteriorates if you are off center (the more the worse the picture even with the new HDTV ones) . It also takes up less room, weighs much less and under normal usage should last as long or longer. Personally, I prefer direct view sets, but there aren't any really large ones and they weigh a ton while taking up a lot of space.

Bill, I do agree with them, that you should tone it down a bit. No reason to respond like that, though I know Demonio's response was a bit harsh.

Demonio, you shouldn't call someone silly and say because he spent money his opinion is worthless. It isn't worthless. The man uses the product every day and you do not.

Lastly, I have seen the 50" Pioneer and it made me salivate. 15K is way beyond what I would ever spend on a TV, but if that set were 5K, I would be fighting hard not to break out the plastic. Wish they would fix the bug on that new RCA 38" widescreen direct view.....Saw one before they pulled em and that picture rocked.

Let's keep it civil. Plasma isn't for everyone, but then ALMOST NOTHING is. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Enjoy your TV/Home Theater WHATEVER PRODUCTS THEY ARE.

Sonic 02-10-01 08:27 PM

Screw the plasma..give me the Panasonic DLP 52" 80pound HDTV with 720P and 1280X720..and I am in heaven!

spainlinx0 02-11-01 11:14 PM

I really don't think you can compare someone buying a very expensive car to owning a plasma TV. The argument in this post is that a Plasma is NOT an improvement over a good HD RPTV. You can't tell me that an S-Class Mercedes isn't a HUGE improvement over a Honda Civic. There the price jump is justified while it's definitely questionable whether the price jump to plasma is as well.

demonio 02-12-01 03:21 AM

haha waste money on fancy cars?? lmao..... At least with a fancy car you could go show it off around town or something, if someone went to your house and goes "cool, nice tv" then you go "Yeah, that baby cost me 25 g's" they're just gonna laugh at how stupid you are.

BillumillAmerika 02-12-01 08:25 AM

so, Demonio (your screen name I believe is Demon or Devil!)
when was the last time YOU looked into the mirror?

m7md 02-12-01 10:37 AM

We have a saying in arabic that say:
"Those who can't reach the grape, will just say it's sour.."

Dont you agree with that Billumill ?

stevevt 02-12-01 10:42 AM

This is the first thread I remember reading in which BillumillAmerika has posted useful information.

It's too bad he couldn't just leave it at that.

DigIt 02-12-01 11:19 AM

BillumillAmerika appears to be trolling, and it is best to just ignore it. 1youngfan, plasma screens are interesting but most people agree that the cost does not equal the benefits and limitations of plasma. One of the advantages is the size and weight of a unit in comparison with its CRT counterpart. However, the lifetime of a plasma screen usually pales in comparison with a well-built CRT.

BillumillAmerika 02-12-01 11:39 AM

Stevevt,
you do NOT make an impartial Mentor, do you?? You should
have gone thru all the postings related to this subject
and see who started the personal insults, you throw ****
at me, i will only throw **** back at you - period!
My original post on the subject was related to topic at
hand, posters after me started this **** and sure enough,
I am not going to be the one to be silenced!
Now if you have a problem with that, too bad!

stevevt 02-12-01 12:13 PM

Originally posted by BillumillAmerika
Stevevt,
you do NOT make an impartial Mentor, do you?? You should
have gone thru all the postings related to this subject
and see who started the personal insults, you throw ****
at me, i will only throw **** back at you - period!
My original post on the subject was related to topic at
hand, posters after me started this **** and sure enough,
I am not going to be the one to be silenced!
Now if you have a problem with that, too bad!

1.) It doesn't matter who starts the insults. In this case, it wasn't you. Do you think that this forum exists -- even in a small part -- for the purpose of slinging insults? If you do, please leave. If you don't, please resist being drawn into petty bickering matches. Or starting them.

2.) No, I'm not impartial.

3.) Anyhow, thanks for addressing my comments.

4.) Please read xcheckers' post above. It does a better good job at summing up the topics at hand in an impartial way than anything I could write.