DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

? about WEGAs 16X9 enhancement (yes, another one :)

Old 02-09-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a 32 inch WEGA back in November and am very happy with it. I have a question about the 16X9 enhancement. Is there a way I can watch the shows from Direct TV satellite which are enhanced for 16X9? If you have the TV, you know what I'm talking about, because the only way to turn on the 16X9 enhancement it has to be in VIDEO 1, 2, etc... and the satellite programming comes through Channel 3. Anyone, am I clear enough.
Old 02-09-01, 04:57 AM

Have you tried selecting 16:9 Enhanced mode?
Old 02-09-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're using the RF copnnection on your DirecTV tuner to go through the TV's antenna input. Can't you use the DirecTV tuner's composite video output and send it to Video 1, and then unsqueeze it?
Old 02-09-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What will this "enhancement" do for DirecTV's pay per view movies? I thought it was only useful for anamorphic DVDs.
Old 02-09-01, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Wega will only squeeze an anamorphic signal which I don't believe DirectTV provodes. and from what I understand (have been told) the sqeeze will only work with a component video hookup.
Old 02-11-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just tried hooking up the satellite receiver using the S-Video cable. (I got it about 5 yrs ago and didn't even know it had one) Wow the picture is so much better. By using the S-Video cable I'm able to watch the satellite in the Video modes, but I guess I can't watch widescreen movies using the 16X9 enhancement. Anyone know if they are planning on sending anamorphic broadcasts. How about the "Star Wars - Phantom Menace" which will air on Fox later this year?