DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Screwed by Sony - DE915 headed for the trash (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/79567-screwed-sony-de915-headed-trash.html)

DNC 02-08-01 06:24 PM

Purchased an STR-DE915 in Nov '98 and it finally bit the dust. Wish I could turn back the clock.

The capacitors for the rear speakers failed after 7 months.

The capacitors for the front speakers failed after 19 months.

Now, 3 months out of warranty, I'm getting a flashing "PROTECTED" message whenever I turn it on.

Bob Konst, the supervisor of Customer Information Services at Sony America headquarters in Fort Myers, very kindly explained to me why I should be happy that Sony refuses to stand behind this equipment and extend the warranty for this repair. After all, they are only being fair.

So the new TV won't be an XBR400 after all. Probably a Toshiba.

And the new receiver won't be a Sony. Maybe a Denon.

For what it's worth.

jellis 02-08-01 09:47 PM

Originally posted by DNC
...Now, 3 months out of warranty, I'm getting a flashing "PROTECTED" message whenever I turn it on.

Well, I would have to say that it is out of warranty so they are "in the right" on this one...

Just my opinion...

KnightLerxst 02-08-01 10:55 PM

Yeah I can see both sides on this, I mean it is bad for a product to have such a short life, I mean if you expect to keep a customer then you should have a product that lasts.

On the other hand if they fixed every reciever that failed after warrenty they wouldn't make any money.

I have a Sony STR-DE-845, hope it holds up.

Soup Nazi 02-09-01 12:46 AM

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Yeah I can see both sides on this, I mean it is bad for a product to have such a short life, I mean if you expect to keep a customer then you should have a product that lasts.

On the other hand if they fixed every reciever that failed after warrenty they wouldn't make any money.

I have a Sony STR-DE-845, hope it holds up.

I had the same unit. It went after 13 months. I bought an Onkyo TS-DX777. I've had it for a while, and think it's great!

Easy 02-09-01 09:32 AM

lemon law should apply

Everything fails eventually. If a unit fails after the warrenty expires I would usually say tough luck. However, in this case the unit had a history of failures which indicates a problem unit. I think that entitles the buyer to extended warrenty. I understand your bitter attitude. I would feel the same.

[Edited by Easy on 02-09-01 at 12:44 PM]

Stats 02-09-01 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The general rule with Sony audio products is to buy the ES line or nothing at all. It's like they don't even try on their "consumer-grade" stuff, like the DE-915. I remember when that was first introduced and it's retail was so much lower than any earlier DD receiver - I had bought my Yammy 793 for $799(!) just a few months before the Sony 915 came out, but the Yammy's still going strong while I doubt you're the only one with 915 problems. Good luck with your new gear.

KnightLerxst 02-09-01 07:52 PM

I had the same unit. It went after 13 months. I bought an Onkyo TS-DX777. I've had it for a while, and think it's great!

Aw man not what I wanted to hear, I really hope it holds up now. Ugh.

darkside 02-10-01 02:14 PM

I bought a Sony ES 300 and it was a total disaster. The right front and rear speaker side went out first and I never got that stupid remote to work right. They fixed that, but I still had terrible hissing in the rears. Luckily this all happened within the first 30 days so I returned it and got my Onkyo 676 and I am a very happy camper. Never had a single problem with it in over a year. My Onkyo 600 DVD player is pretty sweet as well.