Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Flat Screens: I'm buying one tonight! 27inch WEGA or 27inch JVC ????

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Flat Screens: I'm buying one tonight! 27inch WEGA or 27inch JVC ????

Old 02-13-01, 11:19 PM

Um.......well if you use mattes for 1.85:1 for a 4:3 TV it will make you think you are looking at a 16:9 TV.
Old 02-13-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Nutdotnet
Um.......well if you use mattes for 1.85:1 for a 4:3 TV it will make you think you are looking at a 16:9 TV.
No, using mattes for 1.78:1 on a 4:3 TV will make you think you are looking at a 16:9 TV at native AR

Sorry, don't mean to give you a hard time, it's just the only thread that interests me tonight

[Edited by reverb on 02-13-01 at 08:31 PM]
Old 02-14-01, 12:36 AM

Alright, Alright you win...lol. But 1.85 comes close . I was just saying man......it does make you think you are looking at a 16:9 TV even if a 16:9 TV would still have the "black bars" on top or bottom.

But seriously, Mattes ROCK!!!
Old 02-14-01, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony Wegas are ichiban, however if you're going to go bigger don't get a Sony RPTV from my studies in stores they get the worst ratings.
Old 02-14-01, 01:54 AM
Retired

I've never got the appeal of mattes. The black bars and the rest of the tv don't distract me. If I put mats up I wouldn't think I was watching a 16x9 TV, I'd think I was watching my 27" Wega with matte board attached to it.
Old 02-14-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well the idea is they dissapear in a dark room. If you are watching in a lit room, I dont think they would help too much. I havent really tried though.

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I've never got the appeal of mattes. The black bars and the rest of the tv don't distract me. If I put mats up I wouldn't think I was watching a 16x9 TV, I'd think I was watching my 27" Wega with matte board attached to it.
Old 02-14-01, 02:12 AM
Retired

I guess I could see how some people would like them in a dark room. Myself, I just don't really notice the black bars or tv anyway whether watching in the dark or with a light on. When watching at night I usually have my g/f's lava lamp on. TV in the dark is too hard on my eyes.
Old 02-14-01, 02:50 AM

Yeah...if you do not watch the TV in a dark room than mattes are no good. It sounds like you contrast and brightness levels are up too high if it hurts your eyes watching tv in the dark....don't knock mattes till you try them. They are simply amazing if done right.
Old 02-14-01, 10:16 AM

Looks like we're getting off of Keyser's original topic.

However....
Most experts agree that watching TV in a completely dark room is not the most effective. A few weeks ago, there was a thread here about using a 6700K light behind your screen to make the colors look best. (Note: most florescent (also spelled fluorescent) lights are around 2300K. Too warm.)

And....
It seems to me that if you are watching in a correctly lit room with a VVega, you should use SILVER mattes to match the rest of the VVega case. Then you wouldn't be seeing "black" bars.

[Edited by Scott on 02-14-01 at 08:21 AM]
Old 02-14-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scott... Seems that your equally off topic

What you are referring to is bias lighting, and I highly recommend it. Not to disparage mattes, but I never encounter them in edit or transfer suites and I won't use them at home. And I rarely view CRTs (TVs) in total darkness, but always with some ambient light. Bias lighting is often used in professional post houses as it provides for a reference 'white point' while viewing (bias light color temp is monitored).

I would point out that most flourescent lights are far cooler than a 2300K average... More like c4000K or higher average. Though they usually have a discontinous spectrum and color accuracy is iffy. Even the small 'screw in bulb' variations, marketed for power efficiency and such, are metering over around 3800K and up for me.

Old 02-14-01, 11:18 AM
Retired

Nope, my contrast and brightness are fine, both calibrated with Avia. I just don't like watching tv in total darkness. I'm not into home theater enough to spend money on a bias light, so I just use the lava lamp as it puts out very little light, but enough to save my eyes.
Old 02-14-01, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by reverb
Scott... Seems that your equally off topic
Yes, I am, but we want Keyser to have the best possible look at his new VVega, don't we?

What you are referring to is bias lighting, and I highly recommend it. (snip) I would point out that most fluorescent lights are far cooler than a 2300K average... More like c4000K or higher average. Though they usually have a discontinous spectrum and color accuracy is iffy. Even the small 'screw in bulb' variations, marketed for power efficiency and such, are metering over around 3800K and up for me.
My estimate on "most" was based on a quick survey at several local hardware stores and big-box supply houses. What K would you recommend?

(Additionally: It shouldn't be too hard to install a fluorescent fixture in back of a HT center. I wouldn't pay for a real bias light if I could make one myself. Just have to find a 6700K bulb, or whatever reverb recommends. Seems to me that this would also give me a work light for the countless times I change the cabling in the back.)
Old 02-14-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the corrected white point of a properly calibrated TV should be 6500K, so a 6500K bias light would be optimal. Regarding the work light type fixtures, if you are being attentive to detail, you would need to make sure that while the bulb is one color temperature the plastic 'lens' doesn't effect the color temp or discolor over time.

Incidentally, I don't use a bias light at home, but I have experienced professional setups that sold me on it, without question. Check out my fisrt post in this thread for details
Old 02-14-01, 03:31 PM

All I can say is don't know Mattes till you try them...but like I said before, it would be a waste if you don't watch movies in the dark.
Old 02-16-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the "matte info", gonna check that out.

Just FYI, I watched the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon DVD on the Wega last night in 16x9. WOW!

All I have to say is:

CTHD+WEGA=

Thanks for the info all,
Old 02-16-01, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't know that was out yet...did you watch it on dvd or vcd?
Old 02-16-01, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by xcheckers
When they come out with a widescreen direct view 35+ wega my old 35" upstairs is gonna go.
There is one - KV36FS70
Old 02-16-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by broadwayblue
I didn't know that was out yet...did you watch it on dvd or vcd?
Crouching Tiger DVD is available in "Region 3". You need a player that'll let you play it.

Looks great in 16x9!

Okay, I'm done hyjacking my own thread.

-keyser
###
Old 02-20-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just in case the "Tau" people want to read this.