DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

strange S-Video vs. Component Video experience...

Old 02-07-01, 12:19 PM

I recently was watching the Terminator 2 DVD (the original - not collectors) in my Sony DVP-5000S. I had the video directly connected to my SONY 53" with Monster Component cables.
I noticed that the opening credits were "wavering". Sort of like heat wave mirages or something. I wasn't sure if it was part of the video or not.

So I tried an experiment. I hooked up the DVD player directly into the television with an S-Video cable. Now the wavering was gone. The white credits seemed much more stable and readable.

This DVD is anamorphic, so my player is having to convert it to letterbox. But I do not understand why the credits look better with s-video.

Any suggestions or comments are definately welcome.

Jamison

Old 02-07-01, 10:46 PM

bump
Old 02-10-01, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, your DVD player is not converting anything to letterboxed. It is downsampling the anamorphically enhanced image, meaning that it is either removing lines of resolution or blending them for standard 4:3 sets. Anamorphic DVD enhancement doesn't have anything to do with the aspect ratio of the film.

Regarding your problem, it's possible that the three component cables are picking up some interference, perhaps from power cables or a power strip or similar. Or that one is defective. Just a guess. Also make sure the correct connectivity is selected in your equipment setup menus.

I'd try another set of component cables. Borrow some from a dealer to 'audition'.
Old 02-10-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I notice absolutely zero diiference between S-Video and Component cables (both monster) on my 55" Toshiba 55H70...