Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CHEAP powered sub with a cult following

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CHEAP powered sub with a cult following

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I've sporadically told you my review throughout my last few replies, but I'll sum it up in once nice little ditty:

I have a 10 x 12' bedroom or so. I have bay windows that face the street that are about 4 feet tall and are normally close. On a moderate volume level (no deafening sound coming out of any of my speakers), I can hear the bass across the street. Top Gun has a new feel to it. Same with Saving Private Ryan. I'm waitin for my damn Aunt to let go of my Toy Story and Jurassic Park set.

You can't beat this sub for $129, or even $153.

------------------
Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Old 01-17-01, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I had read this thread a few days ago and I was just at dealcatcher.com and they had a link to a Sony subwoofer for $159, so I checked it out. Turns out its the one you've been talking about the link to the store is:
http://www.etronics.com/Product.asp?stk_Code=SONSAWM40 and the product number is Didn't see what shipping was, but they say its in stock. Hope this makes someone happy

[This message has been edited by jschneid (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jschneid:
Hey guys, I had read this thread a few days ago and I was just at dealcatcher.com and they had a link to a Sony subwoofer for $159, so I checked it out. Turns out its the one you've been talking about the link to the store is:
http://www.etronics.com/Product.asp?stk_Code=SONSAWM40 and the product number is Didn't see what shipping was, but they say its in stock. Hope this makes someone happy

[This message has been edited by jschneid (edited January 17, 2001).]
<HR>

Just tried the link now - doesn't look like they have any (Item not available...)
Old 01-17-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute:
BTW, if you want an even cheaper sub that may or may not be considered better than the Sony, check your Montgomery Ward's B&Ms. DVDKrayzie posted in another thread that he got a 12" JBL floor firing sub ($479 MSRP) for $80, thanks to MW's bankruptcy.

<HR>

Actually I got it BEFORE the going out of business sale at the Montgomery Wards outlet almost a year ago. And whoever says that this sub is cheap/doesn't work well etc has obviously never even heard it. When I turn the volume up half way the bass rattles my entire apartment and I'll look out side off my balcony and people that are a few BUILDINGS away are sanding outside looking up at my apartment in awe! I love it (never even had one complaint against me either thank God!). I can't wait to get another one
Old 01-17-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"whoever says....obviously has never heard it..."

i'm not entirely sure whom that was directed at, but since i have posted the only knock on JBL subs in this thread, i'll assume it was for me.

i assure you that i HAVE heard a PB12 (and it's predecessor) and also the PB10. further, i thought they both sounded pretty good for budget subs (i considered $350 "budget" then ). i also really like the way they look (especially compared to the sony which is a bit unatractive).

now, having said that, let me qualify my previous "knock" on JBL subs. read the reviews on ANY JBL sub on www.audioreview.com and you will note a reoccurring theme. dead amps. or if you'd rather, go to the home theater forum and do a search for "JBL sub amp dead" and see what you get...

but they do sound great when they work, and i hope yours continues it's dutiful service.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
TV: 61" Sony KP-61S75, DVD: Panasonic A-120U, Rec: Pioneer VSX-D509S, Front & Rear: Energy e:XL-16 (birch), Center: Energy e:XL-C, Sub: Sony SA-WM40, Total: $2696
Old 01-17-01, 07:38 PM

ahhhhhhhh i'm turning green with envy!! man i want one of these but all the damn stores are out of stock AHHHH
Old 01-17-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by chess:
woofman,

in music, probably not, as music tends to not have ultra-low frequency sound and a sub would likely just make it sound "boomy".

in home theater, definately (unless those 12' woofers are subwoofers). the size of the driver isn't the important thing, it's the frequency range it covers. a sub (even one smaller than your drivers) will pick up and deliver the ultra-low (25-40hz) frequencies that are common in movies. i simply cannot describe what this adds to the experience.

now, this is going to depend largely on the flexibility of your receiver as well. with those kind of mains, you'll want to be able to set your mains to large and still have your subwoofer set to "on". oddly, many receivers won't do this.

if i were you, i'd head over to some place with a liberal return policy (best buy or sears) and pick up the sub we've been talking about for $200. play with it for a few days. watch some movies that have alot of low frequency sound (toy story 2, air force one, top gun, jurassic park...)

if it adds to the experience, keep it. if not, return it. and out of courtesy to the store, keep all the packing materials. you'll pay an extra $40 or so over what many of us pay online, but the option to return should be worth it.

have fun.

<HR>

thanks for the info,my local BB has these and I will try to price match from somewhere that has them cheaper.

Old 01-17-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"

now, having said that, let me qualify my previous "knock" on JBL subs. read the reviews on ANY JBL sub on www.audioreview.com and you will note a reoccurring theme. dead amps. or if you'd rather, go to the home theater forum and do a search for "JBL sub amp dead" and see what you get...

but they do sound great when they work, and i hope yours continues it's dutiful service.

<HR>

ok i went there and it got a 5 star rating by every reviewer. and you said it wasn't good sound quality in your first post, so that is what I was referring to. and at $80....if the amp blew (which it hasn't and i have it running all day long with music or movies), $80 isn't a big loss, especially for a $500 sub.

Old 01-17-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but, while we're on the subject of cheap speakers, Everyone should pick up at least 2 of these.

at 420 lbs, shipping might be a little steep

[This message has been edited by DVDKrayzie (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 10:02 PM

Buy a new car or the subwoofer hmmmm....lol
Old 01-17-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i didn't intend to insult anyone's equipment, and if i did, i apologize.

i don't have anything against JBL subs at all. in fact, i almost bought one when mercata still gave you 50% off with mercata dollars. every one i've ever listened to sounded solid, but i frankly was dissuaded by other people's experiences. by and large, JBL owners love their subs and the way they sound, but there were (and are) just enough "amp horror stories" floating around to make me nervous about purchasing one or recommending the purchase of one. granted, the last generation 12" sub was a bit more notorious than the PB12 for this. i sincerely hope JBL has this problem sorted out as i don't wish home theater problems on anyone.

having said all that, if you find a PB12 for $80, by all means snatch it up. don't even think twice about it! and enjoy what a good sub can bring.

the point of this thread was not to start a subwoofer pissing contest between the SA-WM40 and the PB12, it was to get some people who were holding off on getting a sub because of prohibitive prices to try out a seriously solid performer at an absurdly low price (about half the price of the PB12 i think) and feel the difference a subwoofer can make in home theater application.

if there is a better performing subwoofer in the same or even remotely similar price range, by all means, go buy it immediately. i don't have any brand loyalty to sony here. they just happen to make a really good sub with (apparently) solid build quality at a silly low price. if JBL (or anyone else for that matter) matches this sub in performance/dollar, i would not hesitate to recommend it.

again, sorry if i offended.

------------------
TV: 61" Sony KP-61S75, DVD: Panasonic A-120U, Rec: Pioneer VSX-D509S, Front & Rear: Energy e:XL-16 (birch), Center: Energy e:XL-C, Sub: Sony SA-WM40, Total: $2696
Old 01-17-01, 11:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
again, sorry if i offended.
<HR>

Face it -- you started a new cult. And people get offended when a new cult shows up.
Old 01-17-01, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Face it -- you started a new cult. And people get offended when a new cult shows up.
<HR>

shut up and drink your cool aid!

------------------
Old 01-17-01, 11:37 PM
X
Administrator

shut up and drink your cool aid!

<HR>

I'm not trying to impress the Jones'.
Old 01-17-01, 11:40 PM

Riddle me this:

What does the Pink Panther say when he returns his JBL subwoofer?

------------------
I just saw the Terence and Phillip movie. Who want's to touch me? I said, "WHO WANT'S TO FU(KIN TOUCH ME?!"
Old 01-17-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad you "got" that X.

troll god,

see, that's just wrong. clever, but wrong.

in my best george bush (senior) voice: JBL subs goooooood, troll god baaaaaad!

------------------
Old 01-18-01, 08:53 AM

Chess,
Thanks.
My sub arrived last night.

Old 01-18-01, 02:46 PM

Well it took some prodding, but I finally did it!

First the white long hair?

Next the black short hair?

Both at the same time?

Disclaimer: NO cats were harmed in the filming on the above pictures! I promise!

------------------
Gore won! 300,000 more voters in the popular vote can't be wrong!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited January 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old 01-18-01, 04:28 PM

Could you please detail how you got them in there. I really hate my friends cat and would love to try that. LOL!!!!

Great pictures
Old 01-18-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Being part of a cult rules. We just have to make sure we stay away from the mass suicides. That's not my thing.

------------------
Old 01-18-01, 06:26 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute:
Being part of a cult rules. We just have to make sure we stay away from the mass suicides. That's not my thing.
<HR>

Yet.
Old 01-18-01, 07:52 PM

ahhh the wonders of photoshop
Old 01-19-01, 09:46 AM
PSJ

chess, thanks for the thread. I picked up one of these subs at Best Buy about 6 months ago. I had a coupon, so it was just under $200 with tax and a surge protector. Still a bargain then. The first thing I noticed was how damn heavy it was, trying to get it in the car! 8-)
It really does have impressive output, and I have had zero problems with the amp, auto-on always works fine, etc. I'm glad you brought this up so other 'budget' folks like me can experience this product too.

Also thanks for the pictures, I had no idea the front grill came off!

BTW, I am in not employed by Sony, or anything!
Old 01-19-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by PSJ:
The first thing I noticed was how damn heavy it was, trying to get it in the car! 8-)
<HR>

Wuss.

------------------
Old 01-20-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad some of you are getting these and enjoying them. i'm waiting for mine again. i'm in the middle of a move, and my stuff won't get here until probably after the superbowl.

LMAO at those cat pics!

------------------

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.