DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

no sound in DTS mode

Old 02-03-01, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've played about 10 dvd's since I purchased my JVC rx6000 and JVC DVD player. On most of the DVD's in the option menus, it gives you
the choice of choosing Dolby Digital or DTS.
When I choose DTS I hear nothing? When I choose Dolby, I hear it. Any Ideas for whats conflicting here?

JW
Old 02-03-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same thing happened when I first got my Pioneer 525.

I remember having to set-up where my DTS output's on my DVD Audio set-up menu when I first got it. Check your Audio Set-up menu's on your DVD player. I also had to set-up my Onkyo and tell it to look for Optical connection ( I think ) ... Not sure your using TOSLINK cable though

------------------
MY DVD COLLECTION:
View cubanx's DVD Collection
Old 02-03-01, 06:41 PM

I've checked the setup pretty well before, as I went through this at first and just gave up. Mayby I'm missing the picture somehow? My DVD player's audio option is set to DOLBYDIG/PCM. The receiver is set to AUTO PCM ( I think this is the setting where the receiver automatically detects the signal, then subjects the proper decoder to decode), the DIGITAL IN setting is set to
1-CD 2-DVD. The back of my receiver has 2 digital in conn. 1- says dvd and is the coax.,the other:2- says CD- PCM/DOLBY DIGITAL/DTS and is the special optical wire.

Does all this seem right?
Old 02-03-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well bud here's the troubleshooting steps for your problem straight from JVC Tech Support :

1. Check that the DVD player is set to either Stream or Dolby Digital; if it's in the PCM mode you will not get Dolby Digital.

2. Check that the input of the receiver is set to Digital. If set to Analog you will not get Dolby Digital.

3. Check that the software is recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. The DVD box will tell you how that movie was mastered.

1. Check that the proper digital cable (digital optical, digital coaxial, etc.) is connected.

2. Check that the input of the receiver is set to Digital. If set to Analog, you will not get Dolby Digital.

3. Check the speaker wiring and connections to see if anything has come loose or to see if there is bare wire. If so, fix the connection or replace the wire.

4. Check that the software is recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. The DVD box will tell you how that movie was mastered

( They bring up an interesting point that are you even using a DTS encoded DVD? I only have 5 DTS encoded DVD's out of 200)

Maybe this will help you I hope.

------------------
MY DVD COLLECTION:
Old 02-04-01, 12:40 PM

5 out of 200 huh? Mayby that says something.
It's confusing though. I rented "What Lies Beneath" last night, and within the dvd's options for audio was listed the option for
Dolby digital5.1 and DTS. When I chose DTS sound the receiver would only respond in dolby digital. It seems to me that a lot of dvd movies give you the options, but don't deliver it.

How about giving me the name of a dvd you know of that definetly produces dts and I'll rent it and see if my system cooperates.

JW
Old 02-04-01, 12:55 PM

How about giving me the name of a dvd you know of that definetly produces dts and I'll rent it and see if my system cooperates.

JW[/B][/QUOTE]

Rent Jaws DTS, it only has that one digital sound encoding, so if you get 5.1 sound the DTS is working. This will work for any DVD that came out with seperate DVDs for either the DD or DTS sound, Jaws just comes to mind first.
Old 02-04-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gladiator is DTS, It's defualt is Dolby Digital 5.1 but when the movie starts I hit the Audio button on my DVD remote until it say's DTS and then my Onkyo automactically says DTS also.

Saving Private Ryan Also has a "special" DTS version and a regular version... I made the mistake at first of buying the non-DTS version and of course no DTS signal .... bought the "Special" DTS version and as soon as the menu starts it tells you to choose DTS or Dolbly Digital which simplifies the process of enabling the DTS track.

U-571 & The Unrated Version of Pitch Black also have DTS Track but I cannot confirm this till I play them again as I "forgot" to enable DTS on my DVD player when I watched them before and watched them in the default 5.1 mode.

I have Jaws CE but have not watched it yet so I don't know if it ask's what version you what to listen too or if you have to enable it via your DVD player audio set-up.

------------------
MY DVD COLLECTION:
Old 02-04-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by vett82ce2:

JW
<HR>

What lies Beneath has a dts track on it. I heard it last night. Nothing spectacular, a little bass here and there but not a reference disc by any means.
What model is your DVD player? Make sure that it will pass a dts signal, or you're out of luck.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Exterminate all rational thought
Old 02-04-01, 08:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Since you have a relatively new (to you that is) DVD player, most likely you did not set the audio set-up option to include DTS. The same thing happened to me when I got my Yamaha DVD player and tried playing Saving Private Ryan DTS. Go to menu; set-up; audio. That should solve the problem.

------------------
"No shirt. No shoes. No dice."
Old 02-04-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've checked the setup pretty well before, as I went through this at first and just gave up. Mayby I'm missing the picture somehow? My DVD player's audio option is set to DOLBYDIG/PCM....
<HR>

Is there another option for dts output?

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 02-04-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only get the DTS Audio option when there is a DTS DVD inserted... this is when I press the button labeled "AUDIO" on the the DVD remote... everytime I press the "Audio" button it cycles through the available sound tracks on the particular DVD and which ever audio type I stop on is the one my Reciever automactically switches to.

I think the Default Audio type a DVD player uses is encoded on the DVD. If I insert Gladitor the DVD sends a Dolby Digital Signal till I change it to DTS but if I insert the Fifth Element it default's to ProLogic Mode (YUCK) until I press the Audio button and change it to Dolby Digital (YUMMY).

------------------
MY DVD COLLECTION:
Old 02-05-01, 09:34 PM

Dolbydigital/pcm is what the preferances in my dvd players's audio have always been set to. The only other options I have are pcm only and pcm/stream.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bodai:
Since you have a relatively new (to you that is) DVD player, most likely you did not set the audio set-up option to include DTS. The same thing happened to me when I got my Yamaha DVD player and tried playing Saving Private Ryan DTS. Go to menu; set-up; audio. That should solve the problem.

<HR>

Old 02-05-01, 09:42 PM

It's a jvc xv523 and it states that it has a dts output. I feel like I have all the components for dts signal to be properly played, I'm just missing something!!!! Maybe I have a defect (and I dont mean birth)

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:

What lies Beneath has a dts track on it. I heard it last night. Nothing spectacular, a little bass here and there but not a reference disc by any means.
What model is your DVD player? Make sure that it will pass a dts signal, or you're out of luck.

<HR>

Old 02-05-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dolbydigital/pcm is what the preferances in my dvd players's audio have always been set to. The only other options I have are pcm only and pcm/stream.

<HR>

Well, I would select the pcm/stream option in your player, put in a dts disc, make sure the dts track is selected, and see what happens.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 02-05-01, 10:03 PM

Nothing happens but dolbydig. I only had a copy of jaws:collector, but I've tried that setting before with known dts tracks.....I'm beginning to get suspicious of an actual jvc defect in the dvd player or receiver

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
Well, I would select the pcm/stream option in your player, put in a dts disc, make sure the dts track is selected, and see what happens.

<HR>

Old 02-06-01, 12:41 PM

I may be missing alot because I haven't read the entire thread but the menu screens usually don't have any sound when you select DTS. Sound kicks in once you start watching the flick.
Old 02-06-01, 02:31 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vet82CE2:

You are getting a lot of conflicting information here. Let me run you through a few steps to simplify things:

First Questions to ask yourself:

1) Does your DVD player have the capability to pass a DTS bitstream?
2) Does your Receiver have a built in DTS decoder?

If yes on both you should be fine.

But go through this first:

1) You need to go into the setup on your DVD player (not any DVD Disc menus)and ensure that the DTS audio is set to "bitstream".

2) Once done, make sure that your DVD player is plugged into it's own outlet and not a "switched" outlet on your receiver. I did this at first and realized the hard way that my setup option for DTS kept resetting to factory defaults every time I turned off my receiver.

Just my $.02
Old 02-06-01, 04:06 PM

JLB,
everything is in order like you described. Let me ask something (because I want to make sure the hookup is done correctly), I get dolbydig. in all dvd disk (dts or not)that I play. Because of the fact that my jvc receiver is reporting dolbydig. does'nt that mean that my hookup is correct as far as the
actual connections go? The audio mode of my dvd player is on pcm/stream and the dvd player says right on the front of it that it has dts digital output( i believe that is that little blue wire(optical wire) that connects to its special place on the receiver. I'm reiterateing all of this, because I feel it may be a defect; because all the advise I get from this forum is good and acurate but It only confirms my hookups and initial understanding of the whole procedure.
Tommorrow, I go back to circuit city to describe to them my problem.....mayby something will be discovered then......thanks

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JLB:
Vet82CE2:

You are getting a lot of conflicting information here. Let me run you through a few steps to simplify things:

First Questions to ask yourself:

1) Does your DVD player have the capability to pass a DTS bitstream?
2) Does your Receiver have a built in DTS decoder?

If yes on both you should be fine.

But go through this first:

1) You need to go into the setup on your DVD player (not any DVD Disc menus)and ensure that the DTS audio is set to "bitstream".

2) Once done, make sure that your DVD player is plugged into it's own outlet and not a "switched" outlet on your receiver. I did this at first and realized the hard way that my setup option for DTS kept resetting to factory defaults every time I turned off my receiver.

Just my $.02
<HR>

Old 02-06-01, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the dvd player says right on the front of it that it has dts digital output

Yes, but does your RECEIVER have a built in DTS decoder? If not, you're not going to receive the DTS stream. Period. End of discussion. Can you give us a straight 100% "yes, I'm looking at it right now you dolt and this reciever has a built in DTS decoder" answer?
Old 02-06-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A quick search of the Internet reveals that the JVC RX6000 does indeed decode DTS.
However, I was just wondering if vett82ce2 is using an optical connection or a coaxial connection? It appears that you have the DVD mapped to the optical input, but I'm not sure if you're using that connection.
Also, your receiver is set to "auto pcm". What are the other possible settings?
Old 02-06-01, 06:12 PM

i have a jvc rx-6000. it's surround modes are as follows: 1.dolby surround(dolby digital and dolby prologic.
2.dts digital surround.
3.jvc theater surround

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago:
the dvd player says right on the front of it that it has dts digital output

Yes, but does your RECEIVER have a built in DTS decoder? If not, you're not going to receive the DTS stream. Period. End of discussion. Can you give us a straight 100% "yes, I'm looking at it right now you dolt and this reciever has a built in DTS decoder" answer?
<HR>

Old 02-06-01, 06:14 PM

optical connections are being used.
other modes are pcm only and dolby digital/pcm

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
A quick search of the Internet reveals that the JVC RX6000 does indeed decode DTS.
However, I was just wondering if vett82ce2 is using an optical connection or a coaxial connection? It appears that you have the DVD mapped to the optical input, but I'm not sure if you're using that connection.
Also, your receiver is set to "auto pcm". What are the other possible settings?
<HR>

Old 02-06-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmmm... Well hell, I'm stumped. Your equipment will send and decode the DTS stream... And, you've gone through the initial setup on your player to ensure that you are sending the DTS stream (I have a Sony and there is a "DTS ON/OFF" option). I'm not terribly familiar with PCM, so, I can't help you there. Hmmmm... And you're using the optical output...

Pisser... Well, to address your "5 out of 200 huh? Maybe that says something" about DTS... I don't own a whole lot of DTS titles either, but given the option, I usually buy DTS. Look around, more and more titles are featuring DTS tracks now. Hope you get your problem corrected.
Old 02-07-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, so let's recap:
- You have made sure that you are using a DTS disc.
- You have checked your optical cable connection, which is mapped to the DVD input (and not the CD input) on your receiver. You have even tried selecting CD input to see if it has DTS sound while playing a DVD.
- You have tried every setting on the receiver and DVD player concerning the bitstream input/output. DVD player: pcm only, pcm/stream, dolbydigital/pcm. Receiver: auto pcm, pcm only, and dolbydigital/pcm. According to my math, there are 9 possible combinations, and you have tried them all.
- You have selected DTS from the DVD's menu before playing the movie. You have also cycled through all of the audio tracks while the movie is playing by using the "audio" button on the remote.
- You are absolutely certain that you are hearing Dolby Digital sound but not DTS. You are certain you are not just hearing Dolby Pro-Logic. The Dolby Digital indicator on your receiver lights up, the Dolby Surround indicator lights up, but the DTS indicator never lights up.

The only other avenues I would explore would be to try playing a DTS CD in your DVD player, and trying another DVD player to see if it is the receiver. However, if you're sure you've explored every possibility, then I'd say that your DVD player is a lemon. This, unfortunately, is not uncommon.
JVC and DTS
JVC firmware
New player suggestions
Best of luck in trying to resolve this problem, but I think that if you've seriously investigated everybody's suggestions, your problem is beyond control and you should replace the faulty component.
Old 02-07-01, 02:16 PM

Dvd was a lemon! Just got back from circuit city with a replacement.Jvc authorized a replacement,and circuit city gave me a (consolation) dvd for my troubles (whipty-do). It was Pitch Black and they said it was dts. I tried it out and finally have dts sound. For all that had imput on this problem- I thankyou!
I'm sure the differances in dts and dolby dig. are by opinions, but it's my opinion that dts sounds better. In dolby it sounds more boomy than dts, whereas dts sounds sharper with more treble enhancement.
Thanks again all

JW

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
OK, so let's recap:
- You have made sure that you are using a DTS disc.
- You have checked your optical cable connection, which is mapped to the DVD input (and not the CD input) on your receiver. You have even tried selecting CD input to see if it has DTS sound while playing a DVD.
- You have tried every setting on the receiver and DVD player concerning the bitstream input/output. DVD player: pcm only, pcm/stream, dolbydigital/pcm. Receiver: auto pcm, pcm only, and dolbydigital/pcm. According to my math, there are 9 possible combinations, and you have tried them all.
- You have selected DTS from the DVD's menu before playing the movie. You have also cycled through all of the audio tracks while the movie is playing by using the "audio" button on the remote.
- You are absolutely certain that you are hearing Dolby Digital sound but not DTS. You are certain you are not just hearing Dolby Pro-Logic. The Dolby Digital indicator on your receiver lights up, the Dolby Surround indicator lights up, but the DTS indicator never lights up.

The only other avenues I would explore would be to try playing a DTS CD in your DVD player, and trying another DVD player to see if it is the receiver. However, if you're sure you've explored every possibility, then I'd say that your DVD player is a lemon. This, unfortunately, is not uncommon.
JVC and DTS
JVC firmware
New player suggestions
Best of luck in trying to resolve this problem, but I think that if you've seriously investigated everybody's suggestions, your problem is beyond control and you should replace the faulty component.
<HR>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.