Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT speaker layout... need advice

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT speaker layout... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-01, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess this is the perpetual question though I just rearranged the layout of my living room due to the fact I picked up a new entertainement center. The problem is the layout of the speakers isn't as obvious as with the previous setup.

code:<HR><pre>
-----------------------
|TV c door|
| o |
| u |
| c |-----
| h | builtin shelves
| my |
| couch chair |
| ------
| |
| stairs
|Bookcases |
------------- open to another room
[/code]

The main speakers are sitting on top of the entertainment center (it's about knee height) right next to the TV and unfortunately the center speaker is sitting right on top of the TV since it wouldn't fit in the EC itself The problem is what to do w/ the surrounds. I thought about either mouting them in the ceiling (or maybe under the stairs going up but I'm afraid it'll get kicked there). Alternatively putting them on the bookcase and the builtin shelves might be the best thing. Any hints/clues/suggestions

TIA
Old 02-06-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would put the right one in the built in shelves and the other to the left side of the coach...probably on the wall or depending on the distance from the bookcases on the back wall to the couch put the left speaker there..

------------------
Mike
Old 02-06-01, 02:43 PM

I would put one rear speaker on the built in shelving and the other rear on the bookcase.
Old 02-06-01, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone That's what I figured the main question was whether or not it was worth the hassle of mounting them in the ceiling. BTW the speakers by the TV isn't going to cause a problem is it? I know computer speakers will sometimes throw monitors off after awhile, but it's been awhile since I've seen that so I assume the tech/shielding is getting better.

Thanks again...
Old 02-07-01, 10:55 AM

As long as your speakers are shielded then you should have no problem with your tv.