Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

unfixable Sony Wega kv-36fv16 Glitch - HELP!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

unfixable Sony Wega kv-36fv16 Glitch - HELP!

Old 02-05-01, 06:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hoping someone here can help me as right now I ready to bang my head against a wall.

I have a Sony Wega KV-36FV16, purchased last Fall, along with a 3 year warranty. It plays Laserdiscs, DVD and cable flawlessly. I love the picture quality and the 16x9 mode makes me one happy camper.

However, I have run into a problem playing VHS and SVHS recordings. This is an odd one, so bear with. The problem shows up using any cables (S-Video & composite). I have a three year old (at least) Panasonic PV-S7680 as my primary VCR. At first nothing was wrong. Then in November, I noticed an odd, annoying picture glitch.

The picture would go out of phase for a split second, every four or five seconds at random intervals. I say out of phase, as the problem is hard to describe. The picture will flicker, but only parts of it. As though some colors decided they were going to go crazy for a split second, while other colors said no thanks. If you remember CONTACT where Jodie Foster was in the Pod and her face would appear next to her as a ghostly shape and speak, imagine that on a much lesser, transparent scale, but all over the place. Terribly annoying, but also terribly intermittent.

So I thought it was the VCR and I sent it to be repaired. Well, surprise, surprise! When I hooked up my bedroom Panasonic PV-S4670 to the Sony Wega, the problem was still there! Just as intermittent as before, but still there.

So I tested tapes where I was having this problem on other TV’s and VCR’s at other people’s homes and guess what, nothing was wrong with the tape. When I hook either Panasonic VCR to any other TV, I have no problems! Everything plays flawlessly.

So I thought it was the WEGA and had a Sears tech come out to the house. Well, since the problem is intermittent, wouldn’t you just know that it would not happen when he was here! For an hour we screwed with the TV and VCR and nothing happened. So he left.

That night, the problem came back! (I should mention it is there, regardless of what speed the tape is recorded at)

So now what? I am out of ideas and growing increasingly frustrated that I cannot watch videos without this very noticeable glitch. My older Sony Trinitron was in the exact same spot last year and never had any problems, so I doubt if it is some kind of magnetic field.

Do the Wegas just have problems playing tapes from Panasonic VCR’s? How do I fix a problem that shows up only when it feels like it and ONLY with S-VHS and VHS tapes?! How can this problem not exist with DVD and LD?

At 2 grand with the warranty, I ain’t happy and want this problem fixed. But how?

Thanks for the help. Sorry this post was long.