Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which of these 4 recievers would you choose?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which of these 4 recievers would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-01, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about $400.00 worth of credit at Best Buy and am looking at purchasing one of these recievers. So if you have any experience with any of them or a hardcore audiophile please give me some feedback.

Keep in mind things like bells and whistles and DSP stuff don't matter to me, I could careless about them. What I want is quality power to run my Eosone speakers. Also I want the wides connectivity so in future I won't have that problem.

The link to the 4 recievers I have in mind http://www.bestbuy.com/compare.asp?t...nt=20&x=50&y=9

My speakers just in case you need to know about them http://www.eosone.com/htrsf1000b.htm

thanks for any help
Old 01-31-01, 10:26 PM

This is a no brainer! Go with the Yamaha HTR-5250. Why, you ask? Simple, it is 5 lbs. heavier than the Sony.

Weight is one of the most important specs when comparing receivers. Amplifiers are heavy. The more powerful an amp, the bigger (and thus heavier) it must be.

Don't pay any attention to power and THD claims with mass-market receivers. Good power will only come from a hefty amp.

And if that doesn't convince you, buy the 5250 simply because it has 5 S-video inputs. You'll need them, and a manual 4 push-button S-video switch box will cost you $40 anyhow. Good luck.
Old 01-31-01, 11:03 PM

I agree with jehelmes2. The HTR-5250 is the way to go. The amp is a huge part of the all-in-one receiver. It actually determines how good your music and video sources are going to sound. Yamaha makes a higher quality amp than Sony does.

------------------
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-31-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Ill say this. I have the Sony 845. It rocks!
It has tons of inputs/outputs, DD and DTS. All of my movies sound great on it.

------------------
Im not an idiot in real life but I play one on tv

"What if C-A-T really spelled Dog"
-Ogre Revenge of the NerdsII
Old 01-31-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Weight is one of the most important specs when comparing receivers. Amplifiers are heavy. The more powerful an amp, the bigger (and thus heavier) it must be.<HR>

This is a typical newbie statement! To base your selection of a receiver solely on weight is rediculous! I'm not saying weight has no bearing at all...just not the sole basis for buying a receiver. 5 pounds is not a big difference in weight and should have little bearing on your receiver choice! The best choice ultimately is your ears and budget. To go by someone elses advise when it comes to audio is only credible when discussing any problems (or lack of) and the features a receiver may have.

I will say this that you are much better off going with the Sony DB series then the DE series receivers as they are more reliable and have better amps!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 11:39 PM

Since my credit is from BB my options are limited to what they carry at this time, hence the 4 that I'm looking at.

No doubt one has to experience an audio product himself and see if he or she likes it, but when asking for opinions you can learn things about a product that you otherwise wouldn't know about by just listening to it.

ty for all the opinions so far
Old 02-01-01, 04:39 PM

You can't go wrong with either Yamaha. Don't take this personal (Sony people), but stay away from SONY, unless it's an ES.
Old 02-01-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gotta laugh.. I bought the Yamaha, but eventually took it back for the Sony 845...and it has proven to be a better unit.

The Yamaha wasn't very flexible..but had good, clean power...

The Sony has the same, but with great sound options.

Go read the reviews..they are similar in ratings...

The Yamaha trump card is that it sits well with audiophiles.

Sony is pissed on unless it is an ES or a Sub.

If you are truly looking for power...not bells and whistles or 'tweakability', go Yamaha. It did sound great. (I'm fair..)
The Sony sounds great, but has more 'toys'.

Since you say you just want the power, my honest opinion is that the Yamaha would treat you REAL nice.
Old 02-02-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No question here.
Yamaha is the only receiver at best buy worth considering. Spring for the 5250 for more power - probably the best mass market receiver out there (Onkyo 575x also).
Old 02-02-01, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In this case, definitely Yamaha.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 02-02-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?b=...1&cat=3&scat=4

this is the one i would buy.

go to audio review and see what other people are saying.
Old 02-02-01, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yamaha 5250 based on your selections.
I would not look at weight as the most important stat.

Otherwise you might end up with a Lead audiovox receiver. Hey it was the heaviest .
Old 02-02-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for one of the Yamahas. Even the cheapper one will have more clean power than the pricier Soony. I used to have a Sony receiver (not an ES). Sure, it had lots of bells and whistles (i.e., 'options') but power was anemic (rated 100w/ch, NHT speakers). And it just never sound good, despite any tweaking of the overwhelming number of parameters!

My 2 recent/current receivers are a Yamaha and a Denon. Both rated less power than the Sony (75 and 80 w/ch), both have much more clean power. ANd both sound much better, musically and for HT. I don't miss Sony's 'options' at all. Don't need them as the Yamaha and Denon just sound great in any basic mode.

BTW, the HTR-5250 is only $375 here, and the HTR-5240 is only $300 here. ALthough it doesn't help with your store credit!!

[This message has been edited by drmoze (edited February 02, 2001).]
Old 02-03-01, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's crap on the rating of the Sony 845. I had them side by side for a volume and clarity test.

The Sony blasted the room at the same click the Yamaha did.
I cannot even turn the Sony up to the halfway point.

As for the sound field, it is excellent. Nice highs, lows, and mids.

After doing all of this comparison for my own system, I really think that those who claim the Sony units are lesser than the Yamaha are just playing some Audiophile trump card..

You want overrated power? Try Kenwood, Aiwa, and even the beloved H/K!(Low end models)

The AIWA claims 120 watts pc, but you have to turn it to 27/30 to even hear it. Ants f*** louder.

As for weight...whatever.

So...by THAT logic, those tiny $2,000 speakers suck...because obviosuly, they are not as good as a large , heavy speaker..correct?

Man, nobody gives Sony any luvvin'!

The ONLY legit complaint I can see is it runs hot...but mine has gotten better with every use, as if there was some kind of breaking in period.

Old 02-03-01, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I gotta agree with the Yamaha here.
I own a Sony ES and am happy with it, but I wouldn't buy anything less than an ES, due to some stories I've heard. But, it is IMPORTANT to LISTEN to each receiver. Remember, it's your $$$$ not ours
Old 02-03-01, 11:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you seen www.audioreview.com? People go on there and rate their audio equipment... pretty useful site.

I debated over the same receivers you did. After reading some reviews, I ended up buying the Yamaha HTR-5250. I was advised by a salesman (who may have been looking out for me, or may have been wanting to sell a more expensive receiver... who knows?) to get a receiver that was at least 100x5, so that if I were to upgrade to better speakers down the road, I could stick with the same receiver. But one of my friends pointed out to me that, unless you REALLY crank your system up, you're not going to need all that power.

I thought that the Sony 945 had more power than I was going to need, but I'd heard good things about the Yamaha 5250 and the Sony 845. Some people have noted in their reviews that the 85Wx5 power of the Yamaha 5240 sounded like a low estimate in their opinion... that, after listening to their system, it sounded like it was putting out more (I don't know if you can just "tell" by listening, but just thought I'd mention it). I was fortunate to find a 5250 that was an "open box item" (a return) for $369, so I snatched that up. It sounds great. The remote is a little difficult to use, but I've only had it for a few days, and I'm learning. Except for the remote, I can't complain! Although I'm sure my neighbors might... I recommend the 5250, but if you want to save some $, then you could possibly get away with the 5240.
Old 02-03-01, 11:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, one more thing. You said earlier that you weren't interested in "bells and whistles." I've heard (and this is just hearsay) that Yamahas have a little better sound quality than Sonys, while Sonys have better "bells and whistles" than Yamaha. Ask around, though.
Old 02-03-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Frank S:
Weight is one of the most important specs when comparing receivers. Amplifiers are heavy. The more powerful an amp, the bigger (and thus heavier) it must be.<HR>

This is a typical newbie statement! To base your selection of a receiver solely on weight is rediculous! I'm not saying weight has no bearing at all...just not the sole basis for buying a receiver. 5 pounds is not a big difference in weight and should have little bearing on your receiver choice! The best choice ultimately is your ears and budget. To go by someone elses advise when it comes to audio is only credible when discussing any problems (or lack of) and the features a receiver may have.

I will say this that you are much better off going with the Sony DB series then the DE series receivers as they are more reliable and have better amps!
I dunno dude...my receiver is so heavy....I can barely pick it up!!!

My last receiver was so light....it just did not put out that heavy sound!!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 02-03-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weapon X:
That's crap on the rating of the Sony 845. I had them side by side for a volume and clarity test.

The Sony blasted the room at the same click the Yamaha did.
I cannot even turn the Sony up to the halfway point.
<HR>

This is no way to evaluate a receiver. It doesn't matter how high you have to turn the volume knob. Not. One. Bit.

The only consideration in this regard is if it'll play as loud as you want it to. I suspect the Yamaha will play as loud as you'd ever need, and possibly as loud as the Sony. The attenuation curve on the volume pot (and volume circuitry) is just set differently from the Sony. This can even work as an advantage, in that in the volume range you normally use, the increments between each step will be smaller and allow you to listen at the exact (or a more exact, anyhow) level you want.

As for the sound field, it is excellent. Nice highs, lows, and mids.

After doing all of this comparison for my own system, I really think that those who claim the Sony units are lesser than the Yamaha are just playing some Audiophile trump card..
<HR>

And now you begin to discuss what really counts: sound quality. (Features and flexibility count too, of course, but I'm trying to emphasize that having to turn the volume knob up more on one receiver than another shouldn't be a consideration, as long as the receiver is capable of playing as loud as you want.)

You want overrated power? Try Kenwood, Aiwa, and even the beloved H/K!(Low end models)

The AIWA claims 120 watts pc, but you have to turn it to 27/30 to even hear it. Ants f*** louder.
<HR>

I'll say it again. All that matters is if a receiver will play as loud as you need it to. Of course, if you have to turn the volume virtually to the end of the dial to achieve normal listening levels, that's a terrible sign, and indicates the receiver won't pass the test. Agreed that there are many receivers with "ambitious" (heck, ficticious) power ratings. Again, my point:

Your eyes are not equipped to pick these models out.

As for weight...whatever.

So...by THAT logic, those tiny $2,000 speakers suck...because obviosuly, they are not as good as a large , heavy speaker..correct?
<HR>

Use your ears. Everything else (the weight, size, brand, etc.) can give you a hint of what you should expect, but audio equipment is made for listening. If I bought $2000 speakers (which I have), I'd expect them to be at least kinda hefty (which they are). But I used my ears to determine if I could be happy with them.

Man, nobody gives Sony any luvvin'!

The ONLY legit complaint I can see is it runs hot...but mine has gotten better with every use, as if there was some kind of breaking in period.
<HR>

Your conclusions are fine. Your arguments are kinda specious. My $.02.
Old 02-03-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

something else to consider is the number and flexibility of digital inputs. I currently own a yamaha 992 and think it is awesome even though it doesn't do dts. it is only rated at 85 watts/channel but it totally blew away the sony receivers with 100 watts in the listening room. my only problem is that it doesn't have enough digital inputs. with my dvd player, ps2, and directv, i'm all out...not to mention that the inputs are not assignable. that means that you can't tell the receiver which device you are going to connect to which digital input...and as a result i have to select tv when i watch a dvd, vcr 1 when i watch tv, dvd when i want to use the ps2, etc. It works but it's a pain in the butt to remember...or to explain to a guest how to select the device they want to use. 3 might be enough for you but make sure you don't plan on purchasing more gear with optical outputs in the future. if you need more you should consider upgrading to the 5280 which has like 7 and they are fully assignable.
Old 02-03-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by egbok:
You can't go wrong with either Yamaha. Don't take this personal (Sony people), but stay away from SONY, unless it's an ES.
<HR>

I agree but the DB line is good as well.

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh
Your the man now dawg!
I'm Fresh Like A Can of Picante
The 8th Warrior of the Other Forum

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.