Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with new subwoofer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with new subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a Definitive PF15+ subwoofer and WOW!!! this thing can really put out the low frequencies! But, there are two knobs on the back that I don't know what to do with. variable high pass crossover, and variable low pass crossover. I have it hooked up to a Sony DE935 using one monster cable. I just need ro know what these two knobs do and where each should be set. they each start at level 40 and go up to 150. Right now I have them both turned all the way down. Do I even have to worry about them with the way I have the sub hooked up? Should they each be set at a different level? HELP I am totally clueless! Thanks.
Old 02-01-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the Sony already has a crossover built inside the receiver, so none is needed on the sub. I would set the high pass at the lowest setting (40?), and the low pass at the highest setting (150?), and let the receiver do all the work.
Old 02-01-01, 04:13 PM

You should only need the low-pass one. All it is is a filter to attenuate high frequencies. The higher you set the knob the higher you are shifting the cutoff point. If you have small mains you probably want it a little higher, if you have large mains you can get by with it set lower. Hope that helps.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.

My DIY sub page
Old 02-01-01, 10:57 PM

greatjedi,

Congratulations on your purchase. I also have a PF15TL+ and these subs are amazing. On this particular sub, if you have the monster cable plugged into the sub's LFE jack then you are bypassing all crossover controls in the sub and are letting the receiver handle the chore. If you had read the manual then you would know this! Just kidding, enjoy your new "boombox".
Old 02-02-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh heh, I must have missed that page Thanks Indy Fan.