Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component Video Cable Quality

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component Video Cable Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-01, 11:07 PM
RLO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using SVideo to connect my DVD player (Sony DVP-C660) to my TV (Toshiba CN36X81), dreading spending $70 on a decent component cable. After discovering this forum and reading that the majority is of the opinion that the quality of the component video cable doesn't matter (and that it doesn't even have to be "component video cable"), I hooked up the cheap A/V cable that came with my receiver (stereo audio, one video) to the the component outputs/inputs and what a huge improvement! The colors are much brighter - I switched back and forth on several DVDs and it was always a significant improvement.

Which brings me (finally) to my question - has anyone compared (using the same TV/DVD)using cheap A/V cables hooked into the component connectors to more expensive component video cables and noticed a difference?

Thanks,

Rob

[This message has been edited by RLO (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 02:26 AM

Someone answer his question please. Can we use a/v cables as an alternative to component cables? So I use 3 a/v video for component connection?
Old 01-29-01, 02:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
You should use three 75-ohm cables. Video cables are, or should be, 75-ohm. Audio cables are not.

Many people, myself included, are happy using decent Radio Shack video cables as component video cables. Other people use "better", more expensive cables and swear they see a difference. I haven't done the tests, but Radio Shack cables look pretty good to me.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 03:04 AM

X,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go for the radio shack video cables. I'll I gots to ask for when i'm there is I want 3 radio shack brand video cables that are 75-ohm? What price did you pay?

Hopefully the quality should be along the lines of s-video(heard a lot about how great it is over a/v) or better with the radio shack cables.

When I connect the 3 component cables do I leave the regular a/v connection alone?
Old 01-29-01, 03:31 AM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TheCode:
X,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go for the radio shack video cables. I'll I gots to ask for when i'm there is I want 3 radio shack brand video cables that are 75-ohm? What price did you pay?

Hopefully the quality should be along the lines of s-video(heard a lot about how great it is over a/v) or better with the radio shack cables.

When I connect the 3 component cables do I leave the regular a/v connection alone?
<HR>

The RS part numbers are 1518, 1519, or 1520 depending on length. They come as single wires so you have to get three of them. They're just labeled as video wires, don't have 75-ohm on them and the RS salesperson won't have a clue. Price is about $5 - $10 each depending on length.

They will be better than s-video. And you'll have to keep the audio cables in place. But you can disconnect your existing composite video connector if you use the component cables.

You might want to check out www.bettercables.com too. They have some nice prepackaged composite cables for around $48 as I recall.
Old 01-29-01, 03:50 AM

I'll go for the cheaper radio shack solution. I picked that based on my setup:

27' Toshiba 27A50 TV and a Sony DVP-S530D DVD player.

I'm guessing I should opt for the cheap alternative. I'm sure the more expensive cables($40-80) are the best but I don't have a big tv. Am I right?

[This message has been edited by TheCode (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 04:26 AM

I purchased 3 regular Monster video cables for my Toshiba SD1200 to connect upto my Toshiba CZ32V51 TV and it looks amazing!

To tell you the truth, I didn't notice a different going from even the cheapest composite video cables to the monster cables. I'm pretty sure that because the components video seperate the colors etc. the difference isn't as large as with a plain composite.

IMO, I wouldn't have spent the $60 I did for the difference I have seen.

------------------
Gore won! 300,000 more voters in the popular vote can't be wrong!
[email protected]
Old 01-29-01, 12:25 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TheCode:
Am I right?
<HR>

I would say so. There's no way I would be able to see the difference on my 27" Wega. And I'm using them on a 53" RPTV too.
Old 01-29-01, 04:49 PM
RLO

Thanks for your responses. For anyone who is interested, here are my findings:

1. I noticed a significant improvement by switching from S-Video connections (connecting my TV to my DVD) to component video connections, using the cheap AV cables that came with my receiver. Colors were much brighter and clearer than with the S-Video connection.

2. I did purchase the recommended Radio Shack Video cables (1518) and could not tell any difference in picture quality versus the cheap AV cables.

3. The recommended Radio Shack cables (1518,1519,1520) are actually labelled "Audio/Video Cable," so I don't think the difference between an audio and video cable really matters. Radio Shack also sells component video cables, but the price is much higher than buying the three separate cables.

4. If I had it to do over again, I would not spend any extra money on a quality video cable, I would just use a cheap A/V cable for component video.
Old 01-29-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RLO:

3. The recommended Radio Shack cables (1518,1519,1520) are actually labelled "Audio/Video Cable," so I don't think the difference between an audio and video cable really matters.
<HR>

Just want to clarify that a video cable can be used for either video or audio, but you cannot use an audio cable for video. Sometimes, if you get a set of 3 A/V cables, the one video will be much thicker than the 2 audios.
Old 10-20-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know this thread is ancient, but I pulled it up with a search a week ago, bought the Radio Shack 1518s, and I just wanted to say thanks. They work great!

Doing an A/B between component & (a cheap) s-video I notice a MAJOR difference! I know most say the difference is minor, but it's not minor on my TV. All colors (greens and blacks especially) are much more vivid. Many colors that show up in component (like x-mas tree lights in The Godfather) don't show up at all with s-video.

Thanks again. It's like a new experience watching many of my old DVDs now.