Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-01, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi i'm a new to this site. I need a little help. I'm installing my first HT. My wife wants all the wiring neat and not showing very much. My HT will be going into a built-in entertainment center. I want to put book shelf speakers on the wall next to the alcove. My wife doesn't want to see the wires going to the book shelf speakers. I can not run them down the inside of the wall because I have a second story, and my HT is on the first floor. Any help would be nice.

Thanks
Old 01-27-01, 02:55 AM

Welcome to the forum.

The dreaded 'Wife vs. Home Theatre' dilemma. I'm not going to lie to you - you're in a tough spot. I think your best bet would be to buy the kind of wiring that's flat and can be painted. It blends in well. If you can't pull that off then your best bet is to run the wires through the wall. I don't know if that's an option for you or not. Maybe others can help out more.

-Gonnosuke

[This message has been edited by Gonnosuke (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-27-01, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wives and home theaters. Ugh.

------------------
The Los Angeles Lakers Rule!
Old 01-27-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alot of people seem to cringe when they hear 'wives and home theaters', for whatever reason. In this case, I agree with your wife. Wires are ugly. It always cracks me up to see guys bragging about their gear and showing off their HT, yet they didn't take the time to hide the wires or make them neat at all. To each their own, I guess.
My wife and I just bought a new house, and one of the first things I did was start cutting drywall and fishing speaker cable. Not only did my wife not 'cringe'- she helped. My suggestion to all of you who don't (or can't) communicate with your wives: get new ones. J/K Seriously though, communication is the most important thing, and ultimately a good wife beats a great HT any day.
Now, back to the topic.
I'm not sure I understand why you can't run your wires in-wall. What does the second story have to do with the HT on the first floor?
Maybe if you describe the actual set-up and room design, I could give some better advice.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Exterminate all rational thought