Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone over at HTF so crazy about SVS subs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why is everyone over at HTF so crazy about SVS subs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-01, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mean this as a slam against the HTF members or against SVS subs but that's all I read about over there is how wonderful and flawless these things are. If you read only their posts you would think you're insane for considering anything but an SVS. I checked audioreview.com and found only a few reviews. Are they really that good?

Just trying to get an unbiased opinion here,

Indy Jones Fan
Old 01-26-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it mostly has to do that they are HTF sponsors and I'm sure the owners have received freebies so they push them whenever possible. I've heard the sub before and they are decent subs but not the phenomenon they would have you believe!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 01-26-01, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frank S

Just checked out your Home Theater link. That sucker must rock! How did you mount that center speaker!?
Old 01-26-01, 05:28 AM

YEAH RIGHT,

Nobody has received ANY freebies from SVS.Obi got a pair that he bought and they used his review and Mike Knapp got a pair to review against his Water Heater sub which he sent back to SVS.My SVS subs literally blew away my Mirage BPS-400 in every catagory.The beauty of SVS subs is they sound fantastic for music as well as hometheater and no other sub comes close in the same price range.I think the Hometheater Forum Members will get a kick out of your statement.

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-26-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, well, it seems to me this question should be asked at HTF. You are wondering about what they think about SVS, aren't you?

But to answer your question, it looks like SVS subs are based on the sonotube sub idea, which everybody loves. Add in the fact that the SVS people regularly post on HTF to offer support, and it seems to me you've got a company you might want to deal with, especially considering the product.

------------------

Dan

My ever-growing DVD list.

[This message has been edited by danw (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-26-01, 09:42 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brilon:
The beauty of SVS subs is they sound fantastic for music as well as hometheater and no other sub comes close in the same price range.
<HR>

I am so sick of reading these kind of blanket statements. I have a friend who owns one of these SVS subs and I do agree that they sound great especially in their price range. What I don't agree with is how people keep saying no other sub comes close in the same price range.

I own an Acoustic Research ARS500 sub and am still to this day blown away by it. This sub is 500watts rms of Bob Carver power with a sweet 15inch driver. It goes down to 18hz and hits as tight as most smaller drivers. After hearing both the SVS and the ARS500, I decided that my sub just plain sounded better then the SVS. Plus, the ARS500 runs $500 which puts in it the same price range as the SVS.

The reason the ARS500 is not mentioned in the reviews with the SVS subs is because the retail cost of the ARS500 is $1000 which puts in in a different price range. The SVS has a retail of $500 and that is how much they are sold for. It is absurd that the ARS500 is left out of these tests since both subs can be had for the same price.

Now I am not saying that the SVS subs aren't good because they do kick butt, but IMHO I do not think they are better then the ARS500 in both SQ and SPL. For all those who own SVS subs and love them, more power to you. I just can't stand when SVS owners make statements that their subs blow away everything in the $500 range when I have not seen any comparison test between the SVS and the ARS500. I am sure there are other subs out there in the $500 range that can beat both subs, but unfortunately I have yet to listen to them.
Old 01-26-01, 02:01 PM

danw,

The reason I posted the question here is because everyone at HTF seems so absolutely enamored with these things I didn't think I would get an unbiased opinion. I personally have 2 Definitive Technology subs and I can't imagine anything else sounding better. The buzz on the SVS subs got me curious, that's all. I just wondered if they are really that great.
Old 01-26-01, 02:30 PM
pmf

There is another thread going on @ HTF right now about the 'best sub' and SVS is not even mentioned. Yes, the SVS is good bang for the buck but is nowhere the best, at least not yet (and their size is a major problem for some people). May be close by the time they have the SS model out in production.

These happens quite a bit esp on as big a place as HTF (e.g. Paradigm, Denon & Outlaw). People just have to learn to ignore them if you are not one of the in-crowd.

PF
Old 01-26-01, 04:31 PM

Which SVS sub did you compare it to Zendog?.Where was the SVS located in the room and the SVS I own made the Mirage BPS-400 look pretty ordinary EVEN though it retails for $1300.00.If you know much about subs,you would know the reputation of the Mirage BPS-400.Check out Widescreen Reviews Subwoofer Edition on most of the subs mentioned and read where the BPS rated.Plus nobody thinks they are the best.They are one of the best in their price range.The new SS model was made to compete with the top line Velodynes,Whise Profunder,Legacy Extreme ect.Except the price will NOT be outrageous like the ones mentioned.Nuff said

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-26-01, 04:41 PM

I think the biggest reason that many people love SVS subs is that they give you great results for a reasonable price. I'm not saying that they are the best bang for the buck, but they have to be close. Many people over at HTF have built DIY subs or would like to, and frequently when someone posts about wanting to build a DIY but not knowing if they are capable SVS subs are recommended to them. This is because they give you similar results to DIY without the work.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.

My DIY sub page
Old 01-26-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
I am so sick of reading these kind of blanket statements. I have a friend who owns one of these SVS subs and I do agree that they sound great especially in their price range. What I don't agree with is how people keep saying no other sub comes close in the same price range.

I own an Acoustic Research ARS500 sub and am still to this day blown away by it. This sub is 500watts rms of Bob Carver power with a sweet 15inch driver. It goes down to 18hz and hits as tight as most smaller drivers. After hearing both the SVS and the ARS500, I decided that my sub just plain sounded better then the SVS. Plus, the ARS500 runs $500 which puts in it the same price range as the SVS.

The reason the ARS500 is not mentioned in the reviews with the SVS subs is because the retail cost of the ARS500 is $1000 which puts in in a different price range. The SVS has a retail of $500 and that is how much they are sold for. It is absurd that the ARS500 is left out of these tests since both subs can be had for the same price.

Now I am not saying that the SVS subs aren't good because they do kick butt, but IMHO I do not think they are better then the ARS500 in both SQ and SPL. For all those who own SVS subs and love them, more power to you. I just can't stand when SVS owners make statements that their subs blow away everything in the $500 range when I have not seen any comparison test between the SVS and the ARS500. I am sure there are other subs out there in the $500 range that can beat both subs, but unfortunately I have yet to listen to them.
<HR>

Not trying to start an argument, but do a little research before spouting off like that. You keep saying "the" SVS...and "it" when referring to the SVS subs. There are at least 6 different (iir) models of subs from SVS, in different price ranges both passive and powered.
I happen to be a fan of AR speakers and own 2 of the ARS500s in my current set-up. Comparing the two brands is fine, there is nothing wrong with comparison, but at least know what you are talking about first. You complain about people making blanket statements, yet you also said :
"but IMHO I do not think they are better then the ARS500 in both SQ and SPL"
If that's not a blanket, unfounded statement I don't know what is. You didn't even mention what model you SVS you heard.
The only reason I don't own an SVS (or 2) is the current 2-3 month backlog. Any company whose owners go to online forums, deal directly with customers, answer questions and have the balls to put their products up against anything available gets my business any day of the week. I'm holding out for the 'SS' series which looks to be the mother of all subs.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Exterminate all rational thought
Old 01-27-01, 12:57 AM

I don't think the fact that the Acoustic Research isn't mentioned in any tests has anything to do with it's price range. The SVS is often compared with $1800-$2000 subs in many reviews. And you know what, the SVS wins out everytime, regardless of which model SVS used for comparison. I've owned an Acoustic Research sub, a Velodyne, a JBL, a Cerwin Vega, and currently an SVS 20-39CS. The SVS puts them all to shame. Factor in that with the great price point and the UNBELIEVABLE customer service these guys give and that is why everyone is talking about the SVS. The reason there aren't many posts on Audioreview is simply because this is a new internet startup company. Give it time. To answer your question Indy Jones- Yes, they really are that good. And no, the owners of the HTF DID NOT get freebies and they don't push the SVS down peoples throats. Go over there to the hardware section and do a search for "SVS". You will end up with about 250 posts on SVS. Do you think the owners of the HTF started all these threads or even had much of anything to do with them? Nope.
Old 01-27-01, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mike Meeks
I actually have the center speaker suspended from heavy chains painted black! This will of course change when I actually finish the basement but for now I wanted heavy chains to hold up the 70 pound speaker and not fear it falling on my HDTV! It's great because I get perfect panning from left to right and front to back with the identical 15" three-way speakers all around.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 01-27-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Indy, just as a point of information, one of the respondents here was booted off the HTF (and may have an axe to grind), so take that with a grain of salt.

The SV subwoofers are a great bang for the buck subwoofer. From a "numbers" standpoint, there are "better" subs, but from a price/performance standpoint, the SV Subs stand out in that area very well, and their level of service is very high, based on the number of testimonial posts on the HTF.

I don't think you could go wrong by buying a SV sub, but do evaluate your HT needs, and email some specifics and questions to Tom Vodhamel or Ron Stimpson at SV subs and they'll be upfront with you as to whether their subs would be beneficial for your HT setup or not.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs