Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony 845...Heat??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had too many problems with setting it up, and not enough controls.

(GREAT sound though..)

Anyway, I LOVE the look and feel of the Sony 845, and I have only one question/complaint...

I had it on for about two hours and nearly burned my hand.

I also noticed the No Volume Light..which is the same on the Yamaha..

(Okaym, two questions...one a real Q, the other a throw-away..)

1. What's up witht he heat? I am terrified I will blow this thing, even though I will only be using it a few hours a day..if even that.

I have heard of people putting in new fans, etc..but is there a small type of fan that is easy to clip on/whatever that will keep it cool?

2. WHY THE HELL SHOULD I EVEN HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A FAN OR VOLUME LIGHT ON A $400 unit!!!??

I love this thing, but who was the brain trust behind this?
Old 01-25-01, 04:21 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weapon X:
1. What's up witht he heat? I am terrified I will blow this thing, even though I will only be using it a few hours a day..if even that.
<HR>

Most Sony recievers tend to run hot. They require lots of ventilation on all sides. Even my Sony 555ES used to run hot till I put it on a rack with good ventilation.

quote:<HR>I have heard of people putting in new fans, etc..but is there a small type of fan that is easy to clip on/whatever that will keep it cool?<HR>

Just go to Rat Shack and pick up a small fan for it. They are cheap and you should be able to find one that plugs into the back of your reciever. Put it on top of your reciever and have it blowing the air away from the reciever.

quote:<HR>2. WHY THE HELL SHOULD I EVEN HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A FAN OR VOLUME LIGHT ON A $400 unit!!!??

I love this thing, but who was the brain trust behind this?
<HR>

I agree that you shouldn't have to worry about the heat. You really don't have to if you put it on a good component rack. Don't worry about blowing this thing up. The unit has a funtion called "Protector" that will enable itself and shut off the reciever if it gets too hot. Funny how they can prevent it from overheating but they can't stop the problem all together. I know amps get hot but Sony needs to get to work on this already.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-25-01, 04:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the STR-DE835 and have never had a problem with it getting hot. I have it with no glass in front of it and 6-8" of clearance above it though. Plus I never use it even at half the max volume because it simply gets to loud after that, especially when you live in an apartment.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-26-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that bad boy gives out a lot of heat. I originally gave it about 4 inches of ventalation on the top. Even when the thing is just acting as a switcher for my Dreamcast it puts out a ton of heat.

I moved it around and it has about an inch and a half of ventalation on the top and it runs fine. Thinking of picking up a fan for it as well though.
Old 01-26-01, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry for my spelling and the cut off line ..I meant that I HAD a Yamaha and took it back.

As for giving it room to breathe..it sits on my TV, alone, with nothing around it..the ceiling is 16 feet high, and the DVD player sits 6 inches away. How much more ventilation can it need?

I will be going to Radio Shack and looking into a fan.

I still say that this heat thing is weak, but I just love the actual sound. And design.
And remote.