Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

no point in having a dvd w/out surround?????

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

no point in having a dvd w/out surround?????

Old 01-20-01, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres pretty much no point in having a dvd player if you dont have a reciever/surround sound or anythig like that, it's just like a VCR, at least i think soo..... what do you think????
Old 01-20-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

completely untrue.
1. It's digitial so you don't have all those tracking problems and tape degradation
2. EXTRAS EXTRAS EXTRAS
3. Original Aspect Ratio
There are others but I just can't think of them now.

------------------
Dave My DVDs My Humble Home Theatre
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule"-Randal Graves
Old 01-20-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

better picture and sound quality than VHS (even without a surround system or s-video connections to the tv)
Old 01-20-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 350 Posts
We bought our DVD over a year ago, and just now got a receiver. We loved the DVD even just thru the TV. We have small kids so we got tired of them literally wearing out tapes (often in less then a month or two). Plus they like all the extras! If your going to put together a Home Theater system, you have to start somewhere. I would suggest the DVD player. You will still enjoy it until you get the rest.
Old 01-20-01, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have one of my dvd players in the kids room(living room) just hooked into the television...no surround..still beats anything VHS has to offer!!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-20-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got into dvd initially for the picture quality and the fact that almost all the selections were in widescreen unlike VHS.

I must say though that the surround sound aspect adds gigantically to the movie experience, but it was not my main reason for getting into dvd.

Old 01-20-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny you should ask this today - I just got done pulling what was left of a tape out of my vcr. When I got my first dvd player I didn't even have a stereo tv - it was a portable. Right now my receiver is in the shop for repairs so I'm concentrating on dvd films where the sound isn't a great consideration in enjoying the film. But once I get that receiver back I'll be cooking again. Surround sound is the icing on the cake of a great medium.
Old 01-21-01, 12:52 AM

That sounds like an elitist point of view if I've ever heard one. I too enjoy nice surround sound, deep bass, and clear sound but most people just don't care. Not every home is equipped with a luscious HT system and I'm sure those people are enjoying the movies as much as anyone else is.
Old 01-21-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is so much more to dvd than the sound. Quite frankly, I will not go back to vhs. ever. I like the extra features, the chapter stops, widescreen presentation, commentaries(which you really don't need surround to enjoy), enhanced picture, and the idea that my purchase will more than likely last more than 20 years with virtually little or no picture degredation.

buy the player. Then get the sound system. If you wait until you are equiped to hear everything, you are missing so much more that the format can offer.

r
Old 01-21-01, 10:30 AM

DVD same as VHS without surround???

Umm...

Okay, I'm from Europe, but I'll show you just what I love about DVD (even when I had only a crappy TV with no stereo sound):

- VHS rentals here are copies of copies. They are mostly 10 years old (or so it seems from the "quality", very few are recorded in HIFI, etc. etc.

- Some of my family don't speak English. If we want to watch a new fillm on VHS that means a dubbed version. Yuck yuck and again yuck. DVD is a GODSEND to those of us for whom English is not the only language in the world. Imagine that the person / people closest to you can't speak your language. Rent a VHS cassette. Sit through the thing, pausing every 30 seconds to explain what's going on. DVD starts to seem amazing, no?

- Picture quality. You remember when VHS first came out and we all recorded in SLP (instead of SP) because we got 6 hours out of a tape instead of 2? We spent 2 years doing this thinking the picture was fine, then we remembered what SP looked like and were ashamed? DVD vs. VHS (even SVHS) is many times better than that jump. Even ancient films (should; some DVD transfers suck) seem newly done.

- If you live in the US, for the cost of Dolby Prologic system (what, $150 - $200 including ghetto blaster speakers?) you can have decent surround sound. Come visit Europe, you guys, and I'll show you my $5,000 system that would have cost about $1,500 to put together in the States... Prices here are outrageous...

So there you have it. Forget the extras, forget the similar price. DVD, even on the cheapest of elcheapo TVs is great.

Andy

P.S. -- In the States you can buy a DVD player for about $200? About the same price as a VHS machine???
Old 01-21-01, 12:32 PM

VHS's are to Tapes as CD's are to DVD's. It's just a matter of time when VHS's become obsolete. But like tapes VHS's will be around in our life time.
Old 01-22-01, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! <--- my main reason for choosing DVD's.

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-22-01, 10:26 AM

I disagree.
Old 01-23-01, 02:18 AM

I had my DVD player for over 2 1/2 years before getting a surround sound setup and still loved my DVD player. Having surround sound only makes it better but is by no means required. When I first got my DVD player I only had a 20" Sanyo TV and still was blown away by how much better it was than a VCR. And back then I paid $300 for a DVD player that was bottom of the line (isn't even DTS compatible because DTS wasn't around back then). Now for less than half that price you can get a player better than mine.

[This message has been edited by strangelove (edited January 22, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my first DVD player , and never knew of DVDTalk, etc..so a HT Surround just wasn't an issue.

DVDs are just BETTER.
Yes, surround is neat, but even with my old Pro-Logic system, in truth, I only turned it on for 'special' movies. I am not an audiophile, and thus, am fine with the sound from my television.

I don't see what DVD even has to do with sound, UNLESS you are an audio enthusiast, in which case, DVD is the ONLY road.

All DVD does is OFFER the best possible sound..but just like anything else, you don't HAVE to take up the offer.

Hell, Star Wars sounds fantastic on VHS with two huge floor standing speakers..but do you hook them up to watch tv or Star Wars?

In the end, if you WANT to upgrad ein sound, you can do it later..I am just getting a 'real' system now...but for years, I have been loving every second of my DVD players.

On TV..no speakers(External)..
Go figure.
Old 01-24-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by strangelove:
I had my DVD player for over 2 1/2 years before getting a surround sound setup and still loved my DVD player. Having surround sound only makes it better but is by no means required. When I first got my DVD player I only had a 20" Sanyo TV and still was blown away by how much better it was than a VCR. And back then I paid $300 for a DVD player that was bottom of the line (isn't even DTS compatible because DTS wasn't around back then). Now for less than half that price you can get a player better than mine.

[This message has been edited by strangelove (edited January 22, 2001).]
<HR>

I agree. FYI, 2 and a half years ago DTS was around and there were DTS DVD players but they were high end. I bought my Sony DVP-S300 for about $360 and it was Sony's entry level player, and was about to be discontinued (the MSRP was $499). It also does not have DTS. When I was looking around I did see some higher end players with DTS but at the time I only had a pro logic receiver and two speakers plus could not afford or justify the cost of the more expensive players. After all this time my player is still going strong.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-25-01, 01:18 PM

Before I got my DD/DTS hooked up I had my DVD hooked up to my stereo receiver. For me, that was the big leap. Rich basses clear highs from my Infinitys which provided good presence was light years ahead of tv speakers. DD/DTS enhanced it a little more.

The only reason I got surround was because I thought dialog would be easier to hear with a Center. Unfortunately it doesn't improve dialog that much because DVD soundtracks are just too dynamic.

Surround sound in DD/DTS is cool but for me I could still live with my previous setup if I didn't have the funds.